"I know in my heart that he is the one. I love him, Ella," Jane told her.

She sat up straighter at the news. "Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I want to know my own feelings before I told anyone else," she said.

Jane had always been closed off about her feelings as a child. Even during Christmases, she would give her toys to Ella if the latter had expressed no small amount of interest in it. It hadn't matter how much she herself wanted it. Hence, Ella had learnt to curb her enthusiasm as she didn't want to enjoy anything Jane's expense.

Ella was convinced that if Braden had been swayed, he would be back. The sheer happiness that sparkled on his face when Jane was nearby was unmissable. No socialite form Manhattan could fill the void Jane left behind in his life.

The night, the dinner at the Bennet's was a subdued affair. No one spoke much, Lydia kept chattering about a pool party with Kitty at Nisha Shah's.

"Sweetheart, when was the last time you called Braden?" Margaret, at last, asked  the dreaded question.

"Two days ago, mom," Jane replied, shifting in her chair.

"I feel very used by him. He promised the stars to my daughter and then he just leaves. Are you sure he has not blocked your number?" Margaret moaned without realizing she was exacerbating Jane's distress.

"She just told you that they talked a couple of days ago," Ella said, shooting her mother a warning look.

Not for subtleties, Margaret griped, "Times have changed. My friends told me that these days people stop all contacts rather than having a decency to break things off in person. After her divorce, Alison tried her hand at dating online and got a harsh reality check."

"That's what you get for being a cougar," Ella cried. "He was twenty years younger than her. Didn't you tell me last week there is no room for love in such relationship."

Ignoring her, Margaret continued in her pitiable state. "And what about Charlotte? I bet you she is gloating her boyfriend owns half of your father's company. She is planning to own the company in its entirety. She is no longer welcome in this house."

Their mother's lament put a stop to Lydia and Kitty's whisperings.

Ella maintained her silence as she was not in a forgiving mood toward her friend. Instead, she asked, "Where is Mary?"

"She has gone bowling with her friends," supplied Lydia. "Can you believe it, she has only two friends?"

"At least those two are talking to her," Ella said with a pointed glance, reminding her brassy sister that most of hers had shunned her.

"Christian was going to leave Maria." Lydia's face fell.

"And has he?"

"Ella, you are being a bitc—"

"Enough," John snapped. He looked as if he had enough. "Can we just have a peaceful dinner where there is no talk of me being ousted by Collins and his new girlfriend? or Braden flight to wherever he came from?"

Lydia sulked while Ella stared at her half-finished food.

"Anyone up for ice cream?" Kitty asked with a cheerful smile as she stood up.

"No." There was a unanimous decline for the offer.

Kitty's stomach chose to grumble at that moment. "Sorry," she murmured and took her place at the table.

The gloominess which hung over the Bennet's did not abate. Later that Saturday, Charlotte texted her that they needed to talk about something important. Already in a bad mood, she agreed as this discussion between the two of them couldn't be put off any longer.