Chapter 1 - Does Murder Usually Happen on The Beach?

Welcome to my story! This is the first novel I've ever written, and book 1 of my Arcelia series!

Please note that there are a lot of trigger warnings and it's marked as mature for a reason! There are lots of mentions of blood, gore, kidnapping, abuse, mental health, anxiety, and male pregnancy (that last one has a legit explanation I promise, don't be put off by this). If any of that makes you uncomfortable, don't read the book, or proceed with caution. You've been warned. In addition to this, there will be warnings on the most triggering chapters.

Lastly, enjoy!! This is part of a huge world called Arcelia that's only existed in my head for a long time, and I'm very happy to finally share it with people.

~ ~ ~ ~

This book is dedicated to the one I love who supported me in my writing every step of the way. Consider this creation an homage to our humble beginnings, and a love letter to you. I want you to know that no matter where life takes you, no matter how much you change and grow, I'll be there for as long as you'll have me. I want to change and grow with you, get to know every new person you become. Maybe someday, we won't have to be so scared anymore.

~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ Malik ~ ~

~ ~ Malik ~ ~

I took in a huge gasp of air, then let it all go in a sigh of relief as I pulled myself out of the ocean for possibly the last time. Dragging my icy blue tail behind me, I laid back on the sand, letting raindrops collect on my face.

I had no plan. No home. No friends. No family. Now what, Malik? I asked myself. You're gonna die here.

My red blood spilled from various cuts and gashes all over my rich umber arms and torso. My icy blue fish tail had a torn tail fin, and I was missing some scales. I thought I wouldn't survive, especially when a figure loomed over me. I wanted to move, but I was too numb and exhausted.

I watched as the man knelt down beside me and I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for the sweet mercy of death to take me. Nothing happened. I opened my eyes and gazed up at the man in confusion, as he held an umbrella above me to block the rain.

As I blinked to focus on his face, I noticed how young and beautiful he looked. He had black hair, a chiseled jaw, defined cheekbones, and the glinting red eyes of a vampire.

I grew up learning about how cruel vampires were. They hunted the streets of other territories at night looking for blood, they tortured, killed, and assaulted. However, as I stared one in the eyes, I couldn't help but wonder if I was wrong about them.

"Are you alright?" He asked. I didn't know if it was the question itself, or the sound of his deep, rolling voice asking it, but my fight or flight finally kicked in. I quickly sat up, grabbing my sharp turret snail shell from the side pocket in my duffel bag. I swung it at him before he had time to react. I was rewarded with a cry of pain as he gripped his forearm where I cut into his skin.