𝑺𝑻𝑨𝒀 𝑫𝑶𝑵𝑬 - 𝑻𝑾𝑬𝑳𝑽𝑬

╭✶                                    ✶╮ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀ: ᴍɪsᴛᴀᴋᴇs ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ╰✶                                    ✶╯

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀ: ᴍɪsᴛᴀᴋᴇs ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ
╰✶                                    ✶╯

Monday
November 7, 2020

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Another school day; Monday.

It had been two days since the crew and Esme had last talked. It felt too awkward to be around each other, for everyone. The two girls were in history class when Esme made eye contact with Tess. Tess sat across from her at a desk that was seated before Mae's. Esme looks away and brought her focus back to the board that were filled with notes.

After what felt like forever, the bell had finally rung signaling the students to leave.

Esme grabbed her things and walked out of the classroom. "Essie!" Tess called out from a distance. Mae rolled her eyes and picked up her pace. Making it to her lockers, Esme unlocked it and placed her books away. "Esme..." Tess sighed. Mae continued to ignore Tess and zipped up her book bag before closing her locker and walking off again.

"I get it. I shouldn't have bailed!" Tess calls out stopping the long curly-haired girl from walking; "Just hear me out and let me explain, that's all I'm asking for!".

Mae turned around and walked back up to her; "...You have a minute".

"I'm sorry, E. I get it, you're hurt...I would be too." Tess says. "I stood you up. I made you cry, and I ruined your chances at being on the cheer team and I knew you wanted that". "I just... I thought that whatever Nia needed me for would be something quick, but I was wrong" She says. "I am hurt, Tess." Esme said.

Tess nodded and messed with the silver chain that was around her neck. "I really thought we were starting something! I thought we liked each other- but I should've known better" She stated. "No! I do like you, M! I really like you" Tess stepped up and grabbed ahold of Mae's hand. "Are you still stuck on Nia?" Esme asked.

"I'm... I'm not blaming you if you are or aren't".

"I just really need to know what's what right now, Tess" She felt bad about asking but the girl wanted to know where she stood in all of this.

"'Cause if this some bet-".

"God- Esme. This isn't a bet! And I'm so over Nia" Tess told her. "Okay. Whatever" Mae pressed her lips together. "You don't believe me, do you?" Tess questions. "You haven't really given me any good reason to so far" Esme glared at her. "Essie, I never-" Tess began to speak but Mae didn't let her.

"Oh, would you look at that? I'm late for class!" Esme walked off in a hurry.

"Bye!" She heard something drop but she didn't pay it any mind. She just wanted to get away from Tess. "Wait, Essie!" Tess calls out before closing her eyes and holding her head back. She had no idea how to get through Mae and earn her trust back. It's even harder when Esme isn't willing to believe her.

Tess lets out a groan and adjusts her bracelets on her wrist before noticing something on the floor in front of her.

Going to go pick up the book that fell out of Esme's book bag, Tess realized it was the girl's sketchbook. Tess decided to give it to her later, during lunch. The former New Yorker headed off to go to her math class and she met up with Booker. "So, did you talk to her?" Booker asked, watching the girl as she walked into the room. "Sort of..." Tess says, tossing her bag down and taking her seat.

She placed her head down for a moment and groaned.

"You need to figure this out" Booker said. Tess lazily sits and lifts up her head to look at Booker. "I'm trying. Nia is being petty and Essie doesn't believe that I'm interested in her" Tess briefly explains. "It's just really complicated right now" She says. "It's only complicated if you make it complicated" Booker told her.

Tess hums before pulling out her phone, and resting her head on her forearm.

"Hey, Booker!" Someone says as they sit next to the boy. "Fallon. What's up?" Booker replied. Tess pulled her eyebrows together at the familiar name and turned her head to see the person for herself. It was her. The girl Tess noticed Esme talking to after their game night.

The one that Nia told Tess about as a joke to make her mad at Mae.

Fallon Cameron.

She was from Summer Dale High so why was she in Carver High's Math class with Booker and Tess?

"Sup, I'm Tess." Tess made her presence known by looking up. "Fallon"  Fallon said. "You play on the girl's basketball team for the school, right?" Fallon asked. Tess nodded and grinned. "Yeah, I do. Star player" She says. "I doubt it" Fallon muttered.

"What?" Tess questioned. "Hmm?" Fallon raised her eyebrows before shaking her head. "You know? I'm always happy to meet a fan" Tess said causing Booker to laugh. Fallon glared at Tess and scoffed. Tess looked her up and down before everyone heard heels and keys coming into the room.

"Hey, kids!" Their math teacher called out grabbing everyone's attention; "So for today's lesson, we'll be doing a review!".

✧✦

"No. No, no!" Esme whined as she dug through her bag for her sketchbook in the middle of the hallway.

"What's your problem?" Booker asked, noticing her panicked facial expression.

"I can't... I can't find my sketchbook! It's gone!" Mae emptied out her bag of school supplies on the floor. "The project is due today and I need that book before class starts!" Esme checked the time. "Which is in two minutes! I'm gonna die". "Relax- relax. You need to breathe" Booker says.

"I can't just breathe, Book! I cannot walk into that art room empty-handed! This is half of our grade!" Mae said. "I live, eat, and sleep with that sketchbook. I never lost it before 'cause it's always with me!"She states. "What part of this do you not understand?!" She hissed at the boy before her.

"Esme, why don't you just tell her the truth?" Booker suggested. "You don't have the book on you! Mrs. G is a reasonable woman, she'll understand" Booker reassures his friend. Esme slowly nods calming herself down and picking up her things. "You're right," Esme says. "I know I am" Booker chuckled as he helps her out.

"It'll turn up, okay?" Booker says.

"Okay..." They finished picking up different supplies before they finally headed off to their art class.