𝑺𝑻𝑨𝒀 𝑫𝑶𝑵𝑬 - 𝑵𝑰𝑵𝑬

ESME'S POV

ESME'S POV

That night, there was a loud knock at the door.

"I'll get it!" I said to my mom who was in the kitchen with her music on full blast. Do you see where I get it from now? I looked out the peephole the best I could and unlocked it. Tess was on the other side, playing with her hands. "Hey, T! Come in" I said with a smile, opening the door more for her. Tess nodded before walking in.

I chuckled at her nervousness and locked the door behind her.

"Did they move the party here instead and didn't tell me? I can hear the music from outside" Tess joked. "No!" I laughed. "That's my mom, she loves to listen to music whenever she's baking" I explained. We turned to look at the woman in the kitchen. "Hey, Tess!" Mom waved with a fork in her hand. "Hey, Ms. R!" Tess says with a smile.

Mom turned down her music for a split second to talk to Tess.

"Look at you all dressed up," Mom says.

"A date or a party?" She asked with a wink

"A date or a party?" She asked with a wink. Tess laughed and shook her head. "A party, ma'am" Tess smiled. "I- I was actually coming to get your daughter but for some reason, she's not dressed. I'm pretty sure she's told you by now?" Tess says as she turns her head towards me. "I'ma be honest. I wasn't planning on going" I told her.

"The party is down the street from here, Mom. At Yasmine O'Neil's house. It's like a hang-out for the basketball team on their win last week" I explained to my mom. "The parents will be there. Everything'll be cool" Tess butts in. "We'll be back before ten, promise".

"Yeah, she promises!" I looked at Tess and then my mom with a smile.

"Hmm. Well, she needs to get out" My mom says. "You have been in that room all week, it's a mess. I bet it smells like nothing but feet" She said, pointing a baking whisk at me. "Mom!" I gasped and Tess laughed. The lady flashed a smile before waving us off. "Let's go" I said, leading Tess to my room.

"Smells nice in here" Tess jokes as I shut my door. "Oh, shut up!" I smiled before looking through my closet. "You have a gift, Esme" Tess says. I looked over my shoulder and saw her looking at the wall where I taped up most of my sketches.