xxviii.

♔✙ 𝐑 𝐄 𝐈 𝐃 ✙♔

♔✙ 𝐑 𝐄 𝐈 𝐃 ✙♔

I swerved slightly to face none other than Iris, standing in the gallery.

My breath escaped my lungs when I saw her for the first time in three years. It was surreal. What was she doing here?

She was wearing a pastel green furry dress that accentuated her beautiful figure and it ended mid-thigh, showing off her beautiful toned legs. She had matured quite a lot, and I thought she looked sexier than ever.

Her hair was cut shorter, her body had grown curvier but she was a little bit smaller now. Her face had some natural makeup and her beauty seemed so effortless.

Her lips were still so full and luscious, the cheeks contoured more sharper than before and her breasts had certainly developed. Despite our tragic history, I still managed to feel so hot and bothered by her presence. The chills that were caressing my spine made me grow tense.

But as I introspected on Iris, her eyes seemed to be so dull and lifeless. She didn't have that youthful, enthusiastic spark anymore, the spark that always used to glow when she was with me.

She seemed to be so emotionally and mentally exhausted, I nearly reached out to hold her chin and have a closer look. I wonder what has happened in her life these past three years.

I just didn't know what to say to her. I was in too much shock of seeing her for the first time since I collapsed in the snow. It was fucking scary and I didn't know how to feel about it. Or about her.

"Long time, Iris." I raked my eyes over her body once again and I noticed her look down shyly.

"Indeed. I'm so happy to see you after so long, Reid." Both her hands clasped her bag and my jaw involuntarily clenched when I noticed a ring on her finger.

"You're married now?" I didn't hesitate to question.

"Not yet, just engaged." She smiled slightly and I nodded slowly.

She had easily replaced me, whereas I couldn't get her out of my fucking mind. Life was tough, and a small part of me was very hurt.

It didn't help to see that she was still wearing the Roman Catholic ring that I first got her when we met in the school. It also didn't help that she was still wearing the diamond cross necklace that I got her on our first date.

I wondered why she still had them. She should have discarded the tokens along with our relationship.

"Oh, nice. I'm surprised you're here though," she clearly knew what I meant.

Why the hell would she show up at the Valdivieso gallery after all we've been through? She knew she'd see me around here.

"I know. My boss asked me to come here with her and take a look at this particular gallery. It's been all over the Internet so she wanted to keep up a status. We got a last minute booking. She wants to buy a piece from here," she shrugged.

Of course, it's not like she wanted to come out of interest's sake.

"Wonderful. I hope you find something that you like," I slipped my glasses back on. I just couldn't believe that I was seeing her right in front of me.

Everything came rushing back like a tidal wave and I honestly had the sudden urge to wrap my arms around her despite what she did to me. However, I wasn't going to forgive her so easily. I had so many questions that she'd have to answer.

I was about to walk away when she spoke. "I love the Venus Collection, it's so beautiful."

"Hmm, it is." I watched as she inspected the painting in pure awe, admiring how I had gotten a painted portrait of hers. There were many others, but I didn't want to display them yet. I didn't know how to feel about her staring at her collection that we were supposed to compose together after three whole years.

She didn't even know the sacrifice behind that piece. She didn't know the torture of going down memory lane in the darkness of the photography room, she didn't even know how many pictures I had spoiled with my tears; tears of grief and pain.

She didn't know how much courage it took to display it for the world to see. To see just what I had nearly lost my life over. To see all the images that has been in my nightmares.

"I didn't think you'd work on it," she whispered, staring at the pictures and giggling when she noticed the explicit ones. Wow, that sound brought back so much nostalgia.

"Why not? I promised that I'd get it done," my voice was void of any emotions as I spoke.

"And you keep your hair down now," she marvelled when she brought her beautiful brown eyes back to me, and I could tell she wanted to touch it like the old times.

"Someone who used to be special loved it when I kept it down, so I decided to keep it down," I said nonchalantly and I didn't miss the slight emotion behind her eyes.

"Oh."

"What do you do now?" I asked her out of pure interest. Her energy seemed very low and disturbed, I couldn't put my finger on it yet, but she was no longer the same. I may have resigned as a Priest, but I could still decipher things in the spiritual world.

"I'm a personal assistant. For Kristen Tallinn," she sighed and my brows furrowed.

"What happened to your dreams of modelling and writing? I swear you were so sold on modelling," I gestured to the collection. It broke my heart that she never got to pursue her dreams. She had been so adamantly passionate about that, what had happened?

"It's, responsibility. I had to grow up, my fiancé— well he easily got me a good job," she was hiding something behind her voice but I decided not to meddle.

"Okay, as long as you are happy," I smiled slightly and she opened her mouth as though she wanted to say something, but then pursed her lips.

"I, am." She gave me a smile.

"So I've got somewhere to be, but it was a pleasure seeing you Ms. Levisay." I didn't shake her hand and she must have sensed that I needed space because she simply nodded.

A big part of me wanted to ask her why she hurt me. I wanted to ask why she couldn't accept me as I was, and why she failed to love me for me. Why she said all those vile things right to my face and left me to die in the snow afterwards.

Why did she throw everything that we shared away? Why did she disregard my feelings so easily, and why the fuck had she replaced me if I was her soul mate?

"Mr. Valdivieso, so good to finally meet you. Could you please sign my painting? I'd love to hang it in my new office," a lady came up to me, staring up at me with so much enthusiasm and hope.

"Of course," I walked away with her, aware that Iris was watching.

I couldn't believe that she was back in my life now, and I couldn't believe that I easily talked to her after the hell she put me through. It had been a crazy three years without her, and I felt even crazier now that I was back to square one.

As a powerful person in society, I easily got the solutions to my questions, and I always got them regardless of what method I used.

And this time, I needed answers from Iris. I was nowhere near done with her, and she had dug her own grave by entering my territory. I'd do as I pleased, and I vowed to myself that she'd explain to me why she squeezed my heart till there was nothing.

Till I was nothing.

She had no choice.