ix.

♔✙ 𝐑 𝐄 𝐈 𝐃 ✙♔

♔✙ 𝐑 𝐄 𝐈 𝐃 ✙♔

"I swear, I've never seen you checking your phone this much. Is something up?" Caspian raised a brow at me, his verdigris eyes inspecting me with dire curiosity.

"No, everything is fine." I exhaled, taking a sip of my cider after putting my phone down. He wasn't convinced judging by the way his brow rose in further suspicion, but decided to dismiss the topic entirely.

"So how are you finding the school? Do you like it?" He asked while squeezing some lemon onto his crab.

"It's great. The girls are nice, the sisters are great, and I recently met Father Henry, good man." I shrugged nonchalantly.

"Yeah, you look happy. But there's something about you that's so different. I can't put my finger on it, but give me a few weeks." He looked ambitious as he scanned me cautiously.

Yes, something is different.

Only he would know. We've been friends since we were thirteen. But I'll let him speculate.

"Nothing is different, you're overthinking again Cas," I ate some salmon and he scoffed.

"My boy, I know everything. Tell me, do you have a girl you are secretly fucking? I never miss bro," he moved closer and I laughed ludicrously.

"No I don't-"

"I know you're lying, but I'll let it slide for now." He gave me a devious smile, "an Iris is calling, you should probably take it."

A chill entered my body and I hoped to God he didn't see me paling. My gaze dropped to my phone that was on silent and I calmly took it, getting up from my seat but not before mouthing a smooth 'fuck you' to Caspian. He only laughed with a wink in response.

"Hey, Iris," I slowly walked down to the garden, far from my best friend. I didn't want him listening in on our conversation.

"Reid, hey. I hope I'm not disturbing you-"

"No, not at all," I inhaled, realising how stupid I was acting. My heart was pounding in my throat and I was nervous to speak to her. Funny.

"Oh, good. I just had to make sure,"

"Yeah. Is everything okay?" I held the phone closer to my ear. I loved listening to her voice, it was becoming my favourite thing to do.

"Yeah. I just miss you so much."

It had been a few days since I'd last seen her. Since I tasted her, touched her, smelt her- God needed to help me.

"Oh, well I miss you even more." I found myself smiling like a complete idiot.

It felt like that stupid, shy love that teenagers usually shared, and I felt ashamed to find myself in a similar situation. I couldn't stop smiling everytime I thought about her, and I was surely losing my sanity.