Chapter 4

"Why can't you untie me." Atem whined

"because I'm not allowed to." Yugi said picking up the food on the tray and attempting to feed it to Atem.

"I can do it myself if you would just untie me! Atem said a little more forcefully Narrowing his eyes at Yugi who shied away from him.

Atem's face softened He didn't mean to scare him he just wanted to be untied.

"Have it your way then..." he sighed.

***

After that 3 years went by and Atem and Yugi became very close. They played games together, read together, and even ate together despite Yugi's protests at first. They often played duel monsters which was Atem's favorite game. He vaguely remembered playing with his older friend Mahad when he was younger and possibly even Mana.

"what's wrong?" Yugi asked

"huh? Nothing..." Atem replied

"Come On tel me. You can tell me anything. You can't keep secrets from me."

"I'm just thinking of the friends I had when I was younger..."

"what were their names?"

"Mahad and Mana."

"Hey I know Mana! I doubt she would recognize me now though..."

"How do you know Mana?"

"We used to go to magician school together when we were younger."

"You went to magician school?! But your a slave!"

"I didn't use to be a slave my parents were noble magicians but they died in an accident while defending Egypt from foreigners."

"Foreigners?"

"Yeah an army Attacked Egypt. How come you didn't know?"

"I've been here... since I was 4."

"oh..."

Atem was stunned by what yugi had said. His parents had died and he was sold off to be a slave because of it! That was unacceptable. That was awful! It was almost as awful as the way his mother treated him, maybe even worse. At least he wasn't a slave to anyone but her.

He could care less about egypt as far as he was concerned Egypt had failed him. All its glory hadn't bestowed itself upon him. So why should he care what happened to the country. He had a slight pang of guilt pass through him when he thought about his father but it soon passed.

"I'm sorry to here that you lost your parents." Atem said solemnly.

"It's alright I manage." Yugi replied, "I have you as family now so how could I be sad."

Atem's eyes widened before Tears weld in the corners of his eyes. He sputtered as he laughed slightly. Tears spilled out of his eyes.

He wiped the tears off his cheeks with the back of his hand as he cried, "I don't think I have ever heard that from some one before!"

Yugi Reached up and wiped the tears off atem's face and held his head up with his hands.

"Get used to hearing it." Yugi said as he pulled the boy close to him to comfort him with a hug.

***
Yugi laughed an adorable Irrestistibly contagious laugh that made Atem laugh at his own joke. They were sitting on the floor playing duel monsters and had been for the past few hours. Suddenly the door to Atem's room flew open and a very angry aging Egyptian woman stomped through.

Atem sneered at her as she walked in. Yugi scurried away from Atem and stood in the corner with his Head down.

She grabbed Atem by his hair and tried to push his head to the floor, But the boy was getting too strong for her to push him around any more. He resisted and ended up pulling her hand away from his hair before she could do any damage.

He pushed her any and stared at her with flaming eyes.

"You can't control me anymore." He spat at her.

She growled at him and then smacked him a crossed the face.

He reeled away from her, nut kept his eyes dangerous.

"Oh Ra you're so useless!" she screeched at him.

"who's useless mother?" a boy's voice sounded from behind the woman.

She whirled around and faced the boy in pure shock. How could he have followed her? She had made sure that he was at his studdies.

" Honey it's nothing just go back to your studies." she pleaded as she stood up to block Atem from the boy's view. The boy darted around his mother with startling agility and came to rest in front of Atem.

Atem stared into the red eyes of a boy that looked just like Yugi. The only difference was that his eyes were Crimson instead of purple and narrower. His hair was a complete mess and his bangs stuck up at odd angles. He was very thin and wiry Probably from some unknown childhood illness. one of his legs was much smaller then the other. It looked as if It decided not to grow with the rest of his body.

"who are you?" he asked Atem.

Despite his mothers furious look he ventured to answer guessing he wouldn't harm him with company present.

"Atem."

"My name is Yami." the boy said while holding his hand out for Atem to shake. But before he could grasp Yami's hand His mother snatched him away from Atem.

"We have to go back to your studies, Yami." his mother said while pulling the boys apart.

"But... I don't want to go back to my studies!" Yami whined.

" you have too or else you won't become a good Pharaoh."

"but..."

" No buts, young Man."

"Ok..." The boy jumped away from her and skipped down the hall way before turning to wave good by to Atem before the door shut leaving the two cut off.

"Yugi, do you know who Yami is?" Atem said while turning to him.

"No..." He said while he walked back over to play duel monsters with Atem.