ARRIVAL OF TEST SUBJECTS
FROM MAZE A.

11 AM.

"Cranks! We got cranks!"

Soldiers dresses in black rushes around, their guns pointed at the stumbling figures approaching. Thomas looked around in disbelief as he was forced to run towards a huge metal compound.

His friends were in front of him, also being forced to run. He had just woken up and he was confused and dazed.

"Y/N, we have a swarm of cranks!"

"Shoot them down. All of them. I want every last one dead."

It felt like slow motion as a teenager his age ran past Thomas. She, too, was holding a gun. She didn't have her mask on, though, and her whole face was on display.

"Come on kid, move it!" The soldier behind Thomas shoved him forward.

"Hold them back on the right side!" Y/N shouted, "And tell him to take off! We're all clear!" She shot another crank before barking out more orders. Quickly, she walked back into the compound. The doors slammed shut behind her, locking.

Y/N slung her gun over her shoulder, stealing a glance at the new comers. They looked promising enough. Although, all her attention was drawn to the Asian boy.

She snapped out of her miniature daze.

"Find me Janson. And get me a report on those damn cranks. And Kevin, for goodness sake, stop breaking the coffee machine." Y/N walked past the Maze A group, glancing at the same boy once again. This time, he was already staring at her. Y/N flashed him a quick smile.

"Janson, they're here."

Janson wasn't much better than Ava Paige but at least he felt a twinge of sympathy for her.

Y/N led Janson towards the room in which the Maze A subjects were being held. He unlocked the metal door, smiling at the group.

"You kids doing all right? Sorry about all that fuss outside. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm." Janson greeted them warmly but Y/N could see through his act immediately.

"Who are you?" Thomas questioned, his eyes darting to Y/N and then back to Janson.

"I'm the reason you're all still alive. It's my intention to keep you that way. Now, come with me." He motioned for the Gladers to follow him. They were a bit hesitant, considering how Y/N had her gun lifted.

Janson sensed their discomfort and slowly lowered Y/N's gun. She sent him a look, silently telling him to get his hands off her gun.

"You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place. For us, it is sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You should all think of it as a way station, kind of a home between homes." Beside the group, sparks rained down and Janson told them to look out.

"That means you're taking us home?" Thomas asked, walking faster to catch up to Janson.

"A home of some sorts. But we do have a place for you. A refuge, outside the Scorch, where WICKED will never find you again."