00

Y/N could still remember when the Flare hit. It was a horrific day, forever engraved in her brain. She could remember how WICKED took her and her sister in. Neither of them were immune, but for whatever reason, WICKED kept them.

"Shh, shh, it's going to be alright." Her sister cooed as she stroked Y/N's hair. They were on a train with people all dressed in black. Other kids were with them too. Y/N's eyes landed on a young brunette. He couldn't be much older than her. They locked eyes for a split second, and Y/N slowly smiled. He smiled back.

Y/N never saw that boy again. She and her sister were kept in a separate wing, away from the immunes. Doctor Ava Paige seemed to favour them, continuously visiting and almost babying them. It all changed when Y/N got curious. As they say, curiosity killed the cat.

"Dr Ava Paige, what's going on?" Y/N meekly asked. She was always shy, clinging onto her sister's trenchcoat and hiding behind her. Although her sister was nowhere to be seen now.

"Your sister will be joining you soon. For now, socialise." The blonde-haired woman pushed her into a vast dining room. Other kids her age eagerly chatted and exchanged food, even laughing together. Y/N wasn't usually given the privilege to see anyone but Ava Paige and her sister. So this baffled her.

"Hi," A kid popped up beside Y/N, taking her by surprise. She let out a quiet gasp, jumping to the side. He was taller than her, with black hair and tanned skin. "I'm Minho. Over there is Newt." He pointed at another boy sitting at a table not too far away, "And that's Thomas. He wanted to say hi to you but was too shy, so I decided to do it instead."

Y/N didn't say anything; she only stared at Minho with an unwavering gaze.

"Not much of a talker. Noted." Minho grinned, placing a hand on Y/N's shoulder and making her flinch, "Don't worry, I don't mind. Gally does, though. He bit me." Y/N didn't know who Gally was, nor did she want to.

"Huh. You're still not talking? Are you, like, mute or something?"

"Bloody hell, Minho, you can't just ask someone if they're mute," Newt uttered as he strolled towards his friend.

"Well, she's not talking. And it was a simple question."

Newt and Minho exchanged more words, but Y/N's focus was on the large glass window. Or instead, what was on the other side. Her sister was being held by her arms by two guards. She looked different, almost sickly. Her skin was even a slightly greyish tint. Her sister spotted Y/N and beamed. Y/N watched slightly wide-eyed as her sister was led somewhere she couldn't go.

"Hey, you listening?" Minho interrupted Y/N's thoughts. He still had his hand on her shoulder but was uncomfortably close. "I asked if you want to sit with us. You're probably new here, I presume."

"Wrong." Thomas suddenly piped up, "She's been here a couple of years. I saw her on the train." Y/N turned to look at him, realizing he had been the boy she smiled at. He looked a little different but up close, she could tell it was him.

"Huh? Then, how come I haven't seen her?" Minho questioned, arching an eyebrow.

"My sister and I are kept in another room," Y/N murmured, glancing at the ground. She ignored the look of surprise on Minho's face. "That's why you haven't seen me."

The doors to the cafeteria opened again. Y/N looked at Ava Paige, tilting her head to the side slightly.

"Y/N, time to go. You can talk to your new friends later."