#9 - Pissing off the General

Raelle and Scylla's magically yet reckless stunt seems to have had a few repercussions.

First, it was Sergeant Anacostia basically squeezing Scylla from the inside out with just her voice, all because she wanted Scylla to stay away from Raelle. What her sudden interest was in Raelle Scylla was unsure of but she didn't care for Anacostia's threats, although she would attempt to be more sneaky about it as she doesn't want to be stuck with her eyes blood shot again from another one of Anacostia's 'warnings'.

Secondly, because of Raelle her unit her barely getting by. Their rank so low that if it gets any lower they could kiss War College goodbye. Something Abigail was beyond angry about, just when she thought Raelle had made a breakthrough she goes and proves her wrong. Even Tally felt a tinge of anger towards the girl who now seems to be standing in the way of her chance to help people. It's fair to say Raelle Collar is not her unit's favourite person at the minute.

This had led to Abigail taking matters into her own hands and doing that what she thought at the time would offer a solution, if only she knew had badly it would go. Abigail sought out General Alder in hopes that she could move to a different unit or get Raelle out of hers, she was happy when General Alder said she would see her.

Rushing through the halls Abigail doesn't notice the other people she's passing, too focused on rehearsing her speech for General Alder, she barely even hears her name being called. It wasn't until a hand grabs her shoulder that she actually stops.

"Abigail!"

"Huh?" Carmen now stands in front of the brunette Bellweather slight confusion and worry in her eyes after having called out the girls name multiple times without even getting a blink for a response.

"You look like you're on a mission."

Abigail looks down at the girl, her being a good amount shorter. "I am." Without another word Abigail continues towards her destination, leaving Carmen alone dumbfounded. She runs after her, quickly matching her strides.

"Care to share?" The curious girl questions.

"I'm going to see General Alder." That's not what Carmen had expected.

"Oh. Are you in trouble?" Abigail doesn't break her pace as she looks to the girl confused as to why that would be her girl thought. "It's General Alder, why else would anyone be going to see her." She explains.

Abigail rolls her eyes, "I'm asking to move units."

"Move units?" Carmen jumps in front of her trying to get her to stop, "What. What? Abigail think this through."

"I have. I have a shitbird in my unit and I will not sacrifice War College because of it." Carmen runs her hand through her thick hair.

"But think about it, if you go in there and she's denies it..."

Abigail had thought about this but she's over Raelle, the girl driving her up the wall. What's the worst that can happen?

"Even if she does my position won't change, its' not like it can get worse. At least if I try it might get better." She tried to explain to her friend. Carmen ponders on Abigail's reasoning for a second and then moves out of her way.

"Ok, but if this blows up in your face." She hesitates and sighs, "Come find me after, ok?" Abigail nods at the girl and Carmen watches her continue her purposeful strides towards General Alder's office.

Abigail felt confident walking into the office but that happiness was short-lived, just as she thought General Alder was on her side as the two swapped and compared stories, Alder sharing a common frustration with what Abigail referred to as a 'shitbird' , from her own unit many, many, many years ago. Alder firstly referring to her unit member as a "real big, fat shit-turkey...no technique, this wretch, couldn't sing a storm to save her life." General Alder's words filled Abigail with hope that the older witch understood and would grant her wish to be reassigned, except when she asked she was met with the tongue clicking and glares of the General's biddies's, a motion that is never a good thing. The General and her biddies are one, where she goes they go, what she wants they want and what she thinks, they think. So if the biddies are glaring at you, its because you've done something the General doesn't approve of.

Abigail's heart was in her throat, all hope suddenly disappearing as Alder continues talking. "That soldier I was telling you about saved my life a dozen time." And just like that Abigail Bellweather knew she's fucked up. She felt as though she blacked out as Alder continued to list off all the heroic, brave and amazing things this soldier had done. The last thing Abigail tuned in on was "Your request is denied. This is on you Private. You bring that girl round til she's right. You're lucky I don't call your mother about this."

Just when Abigail thought it couldn't get any worse it does, not only is her unit failing but now she'd pissed off the General, maybe Carmen was right.

Just like Carmen asked her to, Abigail went to go find her. She knocks on the girl's unit suite door and it quickly opens, Carmen searches Abigail's face immediately, attempting to understand how the meeting went without asking.

She turn back to Veronica and Grace who both sit on their beds reading something, "Hey, guys." She gets their attention and they look up from the books. "Could we have the room please?" The push their heads up further to see who's at the door and quickly scurry off their beds at the realisation.

Carmen is thankful for the lack of questions from her unit as they leave their room, Veronica throwing Carmen a wide smile and a thumbs up before closing the door.

Now alone, "What happened?" Carmen asks Abigail who sits on Grace's bed, her expression unreadable but she hasn't taken her eyes off the floor until now. She rubs her face in her hands.

"I fucked up Carm." She muffled through her hands, slowly lowering them to look at her. "I thought it was going amazing, Alder was telling me story about some idiot witch in her own unit and then suddenly she's all like that solider saved my life a dozen times, blah, blah. You're lucky I don't call your mother about this."

"No way, she said that?" Carmen cringes, Abigail just nods also embarrassed by the events. "I'm sorry." She sits next to the girl and gives her a side hug. "It's fine though, think of it as a project."

"A project?" Abigail questions the girl looking at her.

"Yeah, Project Shitbird." Carmen nudges Abigail in an attempt to get her excited over her new idea, "Mould the rebellious, side-braided blonde into shape, eh?" Abigail smiles slightly at her friend. "Good idea, right?" Carmen suggest, wiggling an eyebrow. "It's ok I'll let you take the credit." She pretends to gush as she goes back into the side hug.

Abigail was thankful for it, Carmen always knew how to make her feel better ever since they were kids even if it did take the girls along time to get close, mainly Carmen's fault though.

Project Shitbird, Abigail liked the sound of it.

-

-

Updated - 12/12/22 with an added section (Abigail and Carmen's conversations before and after her talk with Alder.)

Hope you enjoyed