Chapter 11 - When She Rises

Start from the beginning

A small smile curled over Sae's plump lips as he brushed a thick braid from her cheek. "Yes, they were protecting you from becoming the goddess that you are," he said, holding out his hand to her as he stood. "And the life we once shared."

"I remember this place," Rhia murmured as she followed Sae down the creaking wooden steps

"I remember this place," Rhia murmured as she followed Sae down the creaking wooden steps. "But I don't know how."

The musty smell of the old books lining every inch of the walls and the faint scent of burnt sage brought a memory of her mother cradling her on the floor in front of the blackened fireplace to the forefront of her mind.

"I don't feel good, mommy." Rhia cried as her body shook and quaked in her mother's arms.

"I know. I'm so sorry, my love," her mother whispered, rocking her gently as she kissed away her tears. "It was for your own good."

The poignant memory caught her off guard and the floor went off kilter as whispered voices erupted around her.

She's here.

Deam resurgit. The Goddess rises.

She lives.

Rhia gasped, staggering on her feet as she dug her nails into Sae's arm to steady herself while the voices grew louder.

Deus sanguinem. God will bleed.

He found her.

Erunt adhuc unum. They will be one.

Sae wrapped his arm around her waist and a growl erupted from his chest as he held her close. "Silence!" he seethed, snarling at the books rattling on the walls. "You will calm yourselves," he said as the books and the voices poking and prodding at her mind went quiet save for the soft cackling of the fire.

"What...what was that?" Rhia breathed as he scooped her up and carried her to the couch.

"Those were the voices of your coven," he said, sitting beside her. "Their souls rest in the journals they've written for you and some have been waiting centuries for you to read them."

"Why would they be waiting for me?" Rhia said, rubbing her hands over her tingling arms.

Sae held out his hand to the wooden coffee table and two bowls of steaming rabbit stew appeared on the table. He reached for a bowl and held it out to her. "You should eat something. It'll help calm your nerves."

"Thank you," she said, taking the decadent smelling soup from him. "But you're avoiding the question."

Sae nodded. "I know," he said, looking down at his clawed hands. "I'm not sure where to start."

"The beginning would be helpful."

"Right." He sighed. "The beginning," he murmured. "The Earth wasn't that old when I met you..."

Rhia's mind was whirling from the elaborate story Sae wove. She was a reincarnated goddess, born from Gia the Divine to watch over the Earth and the beings her mother created. She and Sae were star-crossed lovers, never meant to meet and never meant to fall in love.