Chapter 7 - Come With Me

"Mommy, where we going?" Rhia asked as she followed her mother through a damp leafy trail in the forest while she fingered the tiny branches protruding from her hair

"We're going to see your aunt," her mother said, turning around and tugging the hood of Rhia's black cloak over her head. "Keep those covered," she hissed, looking around as if someone might see them.

"But I like them!" Rhia pouted.

"As you should, but no one can see them," her mother said, grasping her hand and pulling her through the dark trail lit up by the streams of moonlight trickling through the trees with wooden runes hanging from the branches. "At least not until you're ready."

"Ready for what?" Rhia said and gasped, pointing at a woman with deep brown skin and six glowing iridescent eyes; golden, branch-like horns protruded from her flowing raven hair as she hovered in the trees above them. "Who's that?"

Her mother looked up and smiled. "That's our ancestor, Gia the Divine. She's come to guide our way," she said, as the ethereal woman floated down next to them and smiled at Rhia.

"Hello, my little goddess," Gia said, brushing the hood from her head. "I'm glad you like your horns. They're beautiful, just like mine." She smiled, flashing her razor-sharp teeth. "One day you won't have to hide them, but for now, what your mother and your aunt do to you is for your protection."

Gia's iridescent eyes filled with concern as she looked beyond the trees. "The hunters are coming," she said, looking at Rhia's mother. "I'll distract them, but you must hurry. You and Callie must bind her."

"Ruhina..." Voices whispered and hissed on the wind. "We can smell you..."

Rhia's mother scooped her up from the ground as she ran through the path. Rhia kept her eyes on Gia standing in a pool of moonlight as bulbous black beings circled around her with their razor sharp talons poised to strike her.

Gia raised her hands and the trees bent toward her and the moonlight engulfed her in a sea of white as the inky black globs pierced through the blinding light.

"No!" Rhia screamed as tears rolled down her cheeks at the sight of Gia bursting into a blaze of fire.

We shall meet again, my little goddess.