74: Naked Truths

Stepping over the threshold into David's home was something I never thought I'd do. I was still trying to register everything that was happening. Maple Creek was a ranch. It was David's family's ranch. Layla was his sister and if I remembered correctly, she was the youngest of six siblings. When I was welcomed into his home, I was welcomed by one of them.

       Sitting on a leather recliner was a boy who looked to be my age, but I wasn't sure. He had that same milk chocolate brown hair that David had. He also had the same hazel eyes and similar facial features. I wondered if maybe this is what David might've looked like when he was younger.

       The boy stood up and stretched before looking me and Cassie over. He smiled wide when his eyes landed on Cassie. He practically shoved Layla out of the way to shake Cassie's hand. He introduced himself as Dallas, Layla's twin. I looked from him to Layla and noted how they have the same side swoop to their hair. Layla didn't have the same milk chocolate hair as her brothers though. She had short wavy blonde hair.

       When the boy introduced himself to me, I noted how his smile turned a little more sympathetic. David was his brother and it made me wonder how much he's told his family. I hadn't really considered that. The possibility that he shared details of his personal life with his family hadn't even crossed my mind. How much did Dallas know? How much did Layla know?

       "David's been keeping us in the loop with the trial." As Dallas spoke, his voice became a little somber. If he were aware of my trial then he knew I won. It wasn't something that would call for this sort of tone, but did he know I was upset about the sentencing? David knew and he himself had been upset over it as well.

       "Just glad that it's all over now... " I hoped he wasn't aware that behind my feigned smile I was grinding my teeth. He smiled at me with a small nod. It was so similar to David's smile. It felt familiar and comforting to see right now.

       "That waste of oxygen deserved longer." Coming into the living room was a tall female who reminded me of Tanya. She had a slender athletic build. Her pixie cut was shorter than Tanya ever had hers, but she didn't have that androgynous appearance like Tanya did. She was beyond feminine in her face. Her jet-black hair made her stand out a bit from her siblings. Not only that, but her eyes were dark too. They were almost black.

       "I don't think Blair wants to talk about that right now," Layla told the girl. There was a bit of warning in her voice. I looked at them all and wondered if they were even related. Maybe she wasn't their sister and I was just assuming. Maybe she was just another troubled teen who deserved to be punished. The girl rolled her eyes as she came in and looked us over. She was inspecting us almost.

       "Did he look upset at least?" Her question confused me. I wasn't sure what she was asking. I looked to Layla and Dallas for some help, but they weren't looking at me. They were looking at the black-haired girl displeased. Dallas was shaking his head, but there was still a bit of sympathy on his face. I don't think it was for me either.

       "What?" I asked. The girl tilted her head and rose an eyebrow at me. I felt stupid and small in her presence. I wonder if she knew how intimidating she was.

       "Nolan. Was he upset that he was found guilty?" The question made my entire body tense. Not because she was bold enough to bring up Nolan to me, a stranger. But because this hadn't been something I even considered thinking about myself. I remember the exact moment the jury found Nolan guilty and I can recall the judge sentencing him. Something that I never did was look at Nolan when all of this was happening. I had no idea if he was upset about losing or upset about being sentenced to only a year.