57: Don't Let Him Win

Cassie and I looked in time to see my mother taking off one of her shoes. I winced as she threw it over David who didn't try to stop her. He only watched as it sailed over Cassie's mother's head. It grazed her hair and hit the glass wall separating the main office from the hallway. The same hallway where a handful of students were lingering. I noted how I didn't care for the audience. What would it matter after today? Some faces in the hallway I recognized. They all watched us like we were animals at the zoo.

       "That is enough!" Principal Morris shouted. My mother and Cassie's mother both stopped yelling, frozen from the sudden change of volume from him. Principal Morris pointed a finger at my mother as he spoke to David. "Take Ms. Harper into the guidance counselors office so I can speak to Mrs. Fray, please." He rubbed at his temples with his forefingers as he shook his head at the ground. I could see how prominent his frown lines became as he said something under his breath.

       My mother shrugged away from David's touch. He didn't let the gesture bother him it seemed. He only held his hand out in the direction of the counselors' office. The way she had swung open the door with such force... I knew she would be directing all of her anger at David next. I bit my bottom lip as David followed my mother in and closed the door behind them. I felt bad for him. I'd have to apologize on my mothers' behalf later most likely.

       Jake moved to lean against the counter, blowing out an exasperated breath. As I watched him, I felt the wave of nausea that came with recalling his words in the nurses' office. Those seven words rattled something deep within me.

       "I decided to give us another try."

       I tried to compose myself as her name cut through me, a dull blade that Jake wielded unknowingly. Vanessa. Vanessa. Vanessa. I hated how it rang like a loud abrasive bell that echoed throughout me. I felt it reverberate in my bones as it struck again and again and again. Vanessa. Vanessa. Vanessa. It was her name that he would speak with longing now. It was her name that would send chills down her spine when he called for her. It was Vanessa who would get to hold his face between her hands. It was Vanessa who had his heart now. Not me. Not me. Her.

       I found the strength to tear my eyes away from that beautiful face. My attention fell to Cassie's mom who was speaking in rushed whispers as she pointed in my direction. Principal Morris only nodded to whatever she said. Not in agreement, but acknowledgment it seemed. Principal Morris looked at me as he sighed. His face was solemn. I prepared myself for the decision that was very clear on his face.

       I was ready. I admitted to starting this fight. David had already said that the school saw me as problematic. Expelling me would be a solution for them. I was ready. I took a deep breath as Principal Morris cleared his throat to say something. Before he could, Cassie pushed herself off the wall and took a few steps forward.

       "I started the fight," she told them. I pushed myself off the wall now too, angry she spoke. I wasn't sure what she was going to say, but it wasn't that. She was going to ruin this for me.

       "No, she didn't. I did." Cassie gave me a look that was meant to tell me to stop talking. I gave her that same look. I had no idea what she was trying to do here, but I wouldn't let her do it. This was my chance to get out of here for good. I would walk- No... I would run out of here without looking back. This was my escape and she was taking it away from me. And she knew that.

        "Blair is confused," Cassie declared. I narrowed my eyes at her, trying to see what game she was playing here. "She thinks she started it, but I was the one who ran at her and threw the first hit." Cassie's mom stared at Cassie incredulously. Principal Morris and Jake looked unsure of what was happening. I wasn't even sure what was happening.