58: A Gravitational Pull

The walk back to class was quiet. The halls were even quieter. Jake put himself between me and Cassie and neither of us objected. Every now and then I caught him clench his fist. I wondered if Cassie noticed as well. As I leaned forward just an inch to peer over at her, I found that Cassie was lost in thought. She stared ahead with eyes that were very much elsewhere.

       "Let your teacher know what happened. If they have any questions they can reach out to me." I slowed my walk to a stop as they did. Jake didn't even look at Cassie as he dismissed her. Principal Morris had told him to speak to our teachers, but Jake just wanted to rid of her as quickly as he could it seemed. I said nothing as Cassie nodded and turned to go into the classroom.

       "Cassie?" She looked over her shoulder to me, raising an eyebrow in question. "Thank you," I said softly. Cassie smiled with a small nod. Before she could turn away, Jake stepped towards her. Her eyes widened a bit, unsure of what he was going to do or say. I stepped towards them both unsure as well.

       "It still matters." Cassie blinked at his words. I knew what he meant but it took her a second to understand. "Blairs trial is in four days. More witnesses give her a better chance at winning her case." I opened my mouth to say something, but I couldn't. My voice was stuck behind some lodge in my throat. Jake was still fighting for me. "It still matters," he repeated.

       Cassie stared up at him for a long moment before nodding slowly. She looked unsure of herself. I didn't want her to feel pressured into doing something she wasn't comfortable doing. I opened my mouth to try and speak again, but again nothing came out. Cassie looked at me and frowned. I tried to convey with my eyes that she had no obligation here.

       "Save me a seat at lunch," she said to me. "If I'm gonna be a witness, I doubt I'll be welcome to sit with our friends." Our, as in hers and Nolans. My eyes began to prickle as I held back tears. Cassie gave me a smile before going into her next class. I just stared at the door she went through, unsure of how to react. As tears started to brim, Jake took my hand and quickly pulled me away.

       "Not here," he whispered. I sniffled, letting him pull me down the hallway. I knew where we were going without him telling me. The art room was just around the corner. I clamped my hand over my mouth as tears started to spill over my cheeks. There were too many emotions building up inside of me.

       Jake picked up the pace as we turned the corner. When we reached the door, he swung it open and let my hand go. I felt him touch the nape of my back when I rushed inside. The touch didn't bother me, but I found myself wanting more. I always wanted more. I faced the windows where the sight of snow falling seemed to calm me a bit. Only a bit. I made my way to stand in front of the window by Jake's desk.

        I could see snow collecting on cars and frost spreading on their glass. The ground was completely covered in a white blanket, the tress draped as well. The streets had been salted, but there was slush on the road that was blackened. I wondered where those blissfully ignorant birds had gone and what type of birds they were to not mind the flurry outside.

       A jogger had caught my attention. A young girl with light winter clothing on was treading through the snow. She had on a mask to cover her face, but I could still see how the cold kissed her cheeks. I wanted to be her. I wanted to be outside and to be able to run away from this place. Part of me still wanted to take the easy way out, but I wouldn't allow myself to.

       "Jake." My voice was a little strained, but he heard me. Jake made his way to my side to look out the window with me. He stood only a foot away. So close. I could reach out and grab his hand again so easily. I fought against that urge but lost. His fingers intertwined with mine without hesitation.