Ch. 6- Human connect to human

Start from the beginning

As we started to walk towards the school we noticed how empty it was, strange it was a sunny day and everyone should be outside enjoying the warmth. Then we all understood when Ed looked at the time. Classes had started five minutes ago. None of us could be bothered to hurry up though. If we were going to be late, we would do it properly.

When I walked calmly into class fifteen minutes late, The teacher sighed an started writing a detention note for me. "Hey, teach!" I greeted our old and sour-looking teacher. In return she just handed me the slip of paper and pointed me to a seat in the middle of the front row. Great, I wanted to sit in the back. But at least now I could be closer to the teacher while I annoyed her.

"So, what class is this again?" I asked her in my best blondie imitation. My teacher just looked at me, while the rest of the class laughed and a few real blondies looked confused. This was going to be fun.

After quite a few murderous glares from my teacher, the bell finally rang. I took this as my cue to leave.

All through the day I kept coming across Eliza, well more precisely, her hair. Every time I saw her fiery hair it would be running in the opposite direction of me. I got the feeling that she was avoiding me. This only made me more set on talking to her, I had to find out why she did not want to see me.

After trying to find and corner Eliza all day, I finally gave up, and was surprisingly on time for my last class of the day. With my head bent in defeat, I made my way through the door, only to look up as I heard a soft sigh. Well really it was more of a groan, and it belonged to Eliza. 

I quickly made my way over to the empty desk beside her. Would you look at that! She liked to sit at the back too. I grinned semi-evilly at her as I sat down and made myself comfortable. 

"Hey." I said, suddenly shy.

"Jerk!" She replied angrily as she started to get up and collect her books.

"Hey! What did I do?"  I tried to rack my mind for any clue as to why she was mad at me.

"Don't act like you don't know. I know about your little squabble yesterday." She snapped at me.

"What squabble? I didn't do anything." I asked, genuinely confused.

"Just stay away from me, stupid monkey!" Eliza yelled at me before storming out of the classroom. And for a second it looked as though her eyes had been as red as her hair.

When class was done and everyone raced to get home, I slowly trudged towards detention. I was not going to like this, but luckily, for me, all my friends had detentions too. As I entered the room I headed towards the group of crazy people at the back.

A few minutes later a teacher stepped into the classroom, looking as put out about being here as any of us. Most teachers hated detention-duty. They had to sit and watch the worst kids in school do homework, although it ended in fights or games more often than not.

About ten minutes after the teacher had entered and decided to ignore the noise and total lack of discipline, Eliza walked in the door. She whispered something to the teacher, who nodded, and walked over to the desk furthest away from me. I took this as an invitation to come over and talk to her I got up and told my friends where I was going.

"Hey, what was all that about earlier?" I asked as I sat down next to an Eliza who clearly did not want to be talking to me. This I ignored.

"You hurt my brother. Go away." She said, spite clear in her voice.

Her brother? Could it be the boy from yesterday? The vam- the vampire? I had trouble even thinking it, she could not be, could she? Yes, her eyes had flashed red when she yelled at me. Yes, it seemed as though she had lived a hundred human lives. And yes, my senses were telling me that there was a new presence at school, a powerful one. No, she wasn't. She couldn't be. She was human, she had to be, didn't she? I did not want to admit it, but I knew what Eliza Rose was, and what I had to do about it.