Chapter 40 - Deep Water

“Take us back!”

Chicken had woken at sunrise. Cookie had discovered this when he found him basting in the pickle barrel. The creature had apparently gone roving to appease his growling belly. When the dwarf couldn’t remove him by force, he sent for Amerigo. Trevor came, too, toting his report like a more educated kind of cinder block.

The kobold, having been extricated by guile and who was still munching a pickle, seemed to be mostly content. It seemed to Trevor to be a good time for them to meet the captain.

The two were well-behaved enough to get past Gorestomp, who was expecting them along with Trevor, despite him sending no notification in advance. But before the minotaur could utter an introduction, Chicken demanded to return home.

“Take us back home!” he demanded again.

Trevor grinned nervously between the kobold and the captain, clutching his report like a shield. “He seems to speak his mind, sir. We found him in the pickle barrel this morning.”

“So I heard,” the elf said languidly, unphased by the outbursts. “At least someone was eating them. But before we can acquiesce to your request, we need more information. Who are you, and where is home?”

His gaze fell on Amerigo, who looked sheepish.

“I’m Chicken,” said Chicken.

“Like the-?” the captain began, but was interrupted.

“Like the bird, yes.”

The taller people in the captain’s quarters exchanged glances. With no further information incoming, the captain spoke again.

“I suppose that answers one of the questions. Now, where is home? We need a heading for a port so we can allow you to disembark.”

“No, I disembarked earlier. I can’t help you with the other stuff.”

Glances once again flew over Chicken’s head. “Gorestomp, please tell Cookie to clean out the pickle barrel. Tweesly, I’m assigning you to pull sense out of this little…lizard…person here.”

“I’m a kobold!” Chicken interjected.

Gorestomp gave a grand bow, the trinkets on his horns tinkling, before purposefully exiting the room.

Trevor had been looking at Chicken, like if he stared long enough he could penetrate the secrets the little creature held.

“Hmmwha?” he said, coming out of his reverie.

“Figure out how to pull navigation information from this kobold creature. You’re responsible for them both during their voyage. If we can find where to take him, we could fit a detour into the schedule.”

The captain looked once again at Amerigo.

“See if you can make this one talk, too.”

****

Chicken was getting frustrated.

“No! When you reach the rock with the angry eyes, you head towards the sun in the morning and away from the sun in the afternoon until you reach the sharp, twisty tree. From there-“

But he was cut off by Trevor, who was neck and neck with him in their sprint to madness.

“I don’t know what those are! What days are these? Can you see the Springola Cluster on the fourth night of Brune?”

“I don’t know, I don’t travel at night! It’s dark!”

“I wish you would just use the map!”