Chapter 33 - Flamebeast

Between the cold and distant stars and the grey and broken terrain, a dark wind stirred at the passage of Chicken. He was carried aloft on ethereal wings, but the night and things it contained did not concern him. What should have been a peaceful flight was full of muttering which only he could hear.

“Who does he think he is, demanding more from me?”

He is presumptuous.

“Like I don’t have enough to worry about.”

The realm needs a ruler.

“He can get someone else.”

There is no room here for his like.

Chicken’s tone shifted at this thought, pivoting at the thought of their friendship.

“But…I don’t want him to leave.”

There was only the sound of the wind as Chicken flapped idly. He banked a turn before flying too far from the entrance to the underground. Off in the distance, there was a tell-tale shape of a geyser. He could not hear it at this distance, but could barely make out its shape in the night.

“There’s room for him here. I just can’t do what he wants me to do.”

He sows discontent.

“It was just a bad time for him to ask,” he said, chuckling nervously.

Subjects don’t request. Subjects beg. Requests breed familiarity. Familiarity blossoms into disrespect.

“Disrespect?”

He seeks to undermine authority.

Chicken scoffed. “He wouldn’t. He’s my friend. He’s not even a kobold. What could he want to rule us for?”

We must eliminate him. Send a message to all who would attempt.

The thought made Chicken numb. He couldn’t feel the wind on his face, much less whipping against his body.

“Eliminate…?” He started looking for a place to land.

The patrol is not complete.

“No, no. I need to process this, and I can’t think while I’m hurtling through the air. What’s your reasoning for-… You mean eliminate him?”

The wings, broad, glowing blue, and not unlike a bat’s wings, refused to cooperate.

“What’s your problem? I need to be on the ground.”

“The patrol is not complete. The realm is not secure.” Chicken’s eyes grew blue as the words were spoken through his mouth.

“I am not eliminating my friend!” he shouted when he regained control.

“We will not hesitate to eliminate any threat to our power,” his mouth hissed. “Mortals are meant to be ruled. Mortals need to show due respect. Domination is the only worthy goal, and we will not stop at the mere subjugation of these drakelings, these pitiful kobolds. My dominion will be absolute!”

Chicken couldn’t believe the words that were coming out of his mouth.

“You-..” he started, but the force of the revelation killed the statement. He tried again.

“You don’t want to help my tribe.” His words were almost lost in the force of the wind. “You want to own them.” The sheer indignity at the thought spurred him. “You were never my friend! You want to use me!”

If I have to rule through you, then I will do so,” the voice snapped.

Chicken began struggling against the wings that were no longer his own.