50

Aurora and Azriel spent three days in her bedroom. Their meals were left by the door, Nesta sneaking them wine. Aurora's body was finally healing more. It hadn't been too difficult to walk in the past day and her bruises were faded to nearly nothing. Her ribs and leg were still tender to the touch, but Aurora was just glad to not have to be walked to the bathing chamber every time she needed.

Aurora walked out of the bathing chamber, a towel wrapped around her body. Azriel was laid on his stomach in her bed, the side of his face pressed into the pillows. She had another nightmare the night before and Azriel had woken her up. Aurora couldn't sleep again, so she decided to take a bath and watch the sun rise. Azriel had had more wine than Aurora the evening before, what she blamed the nightmare on. The nights before then, Aurora had practically blacked out and awoke in late morning, but this night, she had hardly a bottle and let her thoughts overtake her mind.

"Az," Aurora whispered, running her fingers over the muscle on his shoulder. He hummed out a groan, kicking his leg up to the side. Aurora grinned at him sprawling across the bed, and then at his hand that searched for her in the bed. "Az, I'm not in bed," she chuckled, leaning down to kiss his hair. Azriel grunted and pushed himself up onto his knees.

"Get in the bed then," he grumbled, blinking through the sleep. His hand reached out and tugged her closer. Aurora laughed as she climbed into the spot he laid before, her legs moving to either side of him. Azriel tugged the towel from her body then laid overtop of her, his face pressed into her neck with a heavy breath.

"Az- Azriel, I can't breathe," Aurora gasped out with a winded laugh. He just puffed out air against her skin, sliding his hand under her back.

"Shhh, I'm sleeping," he muttered, pressing a kiss to the artery in her neck before nuzzling his face further in. Aurora's hands were pressed to his chest, pushing up with no luck.

"Az!" She complained louder. He groaned, shoving off of her and sitting up again. Aurora scrambled from beneath him to her side of the bed. Azriel turned to his side and collapsed onto the pillow, looping his arm around her waist and tugging her into him.

"It's sunrise, you know? We should probably wake up," Aurora murmured as her hand slid to his hair. Azriel hummed in response. Even though he was hardly awake, his shadows were. Aurora felt them graze across her skin, hushed whispers of sweet things. It made her think of what she had said to him those few days prior. Aurora had told Azriel she loved him, and he had said it back, but neither of them have mentioned it since. She wondered if he only responded because he was riddled with emotion in that moment, and she wondered if she had chosen the wrong time to say it. Not that they had anytime to say it lately, both of them had been drunk nearly all day while they read and slept.

Aurora's brows furrowed as she thought. Azriel hadn't touched her in that time, either. Not the simple touches of holding her, but sexually. Being holed up in a room together for three days, she'd think that he would've wanted that, especially with the bond's height of emotions. Her mind reeled with thoughts; Did he not feel like she was worth it anymore? Did he mentally compare her to Elain or Gwyn? Was she not good at it? Why had he been getting so drunk during their time in here?

Aurora sighed, her fingers twisting in the strands of his hair. Azriel lifted his head at the sound, tired eyes squinting. "What's wrong?" She turned her head to look at him. The shadows that caressed her skin sat beneath his eyes and his scruff had grown longer in the days he stayed with her.

"Nothing," she responded, keeping her voice chipper compared to her thoughts. His eye twitched. Aurora felt his hand slip from her waist and rest on her stomach as he leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to her jaw.

"That's not true," he murmured, lips still on her skin. Aurora held back the second sigh, her hand pausing in his hair.

"Why have you been drinking so much in the past few days? Even last night, you had much more than I did," Aurora whispered, turning her head to look at him. Azriel stared down at her and she noted the way his tongue ran along his lip as his eyes darted between hers.