Chapter 5 - Training

Start from the beginning

Raph rolled his eyes. "Yes, thank you, Shift. I can see that." He pushed Shift's hand away when he went in for a second punch. "And now that mission is over, it's about time you got yourself to med bay. After your little incident yesterday, I need a clean bill of health for my paperwork before I can send you out again."

Shift looked at Athira and pouted. "After all I've done to reunite you both, and I'm being exiled to the med bay."

"What, getting stuck in the basement of a collapsing tower?" said Raph. "Real heroic there, Shift."

"You're welcome."

"Go."

With one last thumbs-up at Athira, Shift headed down the stairs, leaving Athira and Raph in a strained silence only broken by the sound of Talia slamming stone into various objects.

"So," said Raph, running a hand through his dark hair awkwardly. "You're the Owl? I feel like I should have known. The cloak was a giveaway, even if it isn't purple anymore."

Athira dug her fingers into her sides, her eyes on a piece of wall to his left. "I guess."

Raph clicked his tongue. "There's about a million things I want to ask you, but I'll start with the most important one. Are you okay?"

Athira hesitated, her eyes flicking up to his. "Am I... okay?"

"You looked like you had a rough time last night."

She shrugged. "I'm not about to blow up your base anymore if that's what you mean, but until I get my amulet back, I wouldn't trust it to stay that way."

"Reader has it, right?" asked Raph, to which she reluctantly nodded. "How'd that happen?" He hesitated. "You aren't working with him, are you?"

"No," said Athira, wrinkling her nose at the idea. "I thought he was causing these psychic energy Surges that my Black reacts badly to. One happened early and caught me off guard."

"Could you find Reader again?"

"Even if I don't, I have a feeling that he'll find me," she said. "But you don't owe me anything, Raph. Neither does your team. I'll figure it out myself."

Raph leaned forward a little, arms folded across his chest, an eyebrow raised. "I'm not being entirely selfless with the offer to help, you know. The Elites set Reader's arrest as a priority, and he's slippery."

"There are other villains who cause a lot more damage than Reader ever will," said Athira. "Why prioritise him?"

"He's not exactly innocent, either," said Raph, tapping his wristlet. A holographic screen appeared, projected above his forearm, scrolling through a list of Reader's crimes. Grand theft of epicores. Property destruction. Grievous bodily harm. Abuse of Colour. "He's caused more than his fair share of havoc upon society, especially in our zone, but the main reason the Elites want him is because he's involved with someone called Rathe."

Athira hesitated. "...Rathe?"

Raph glanced back at her with a cautious smile. "Don't suppose you know who that is? We figured it was a code name for a new Underground villain, but there isn't a whole lot of info on them yet. Just that the Elites want anyone associated with Rathe rounded up for questioning. I know the Owl — well, you've been asking questions about Rathe, so —"

"Is that why you brought me here? Because the Owl's been asking questions about Rathe?"

"What? No, of course not." Raph swiped the screen away, and for a brief moment, his guard seemed to drop. "I brought you back here because I haven't seen you in seven years and I was worried about you. I only mentioned it because we might have some information you can use."