Chapter 9: I Do Something Very Satisfying but Ultimately Immoral

Start from the beginning

"Hey, sorry, have you seen Viktor?" I ask a group of Durmstrang students. They shake their heads and watch after me as I rush off.

"Have you seen Viktor Krum around?" I ask another group of students, who shake their heads as well.

"Yeah, on page two of the Daily Prophet with his tongue down your throat," one of the students chuckles.

"Excuse me," I say and stop in my tracks to stare at him.

"Everyone's seen it. Maybe you shouldn't be a whore if it bothers you," he suggests, shrugging his Ravenclaw robe-clad shoulders. Robert, one of the boys who Cedric claims tried asking me out. I never noticed, but I'm now glad I didn't if it's true. Being involved with him in any capacity sounds like a very efficient form of psychological torture.

"I swear to you, Robert, I will stun you in the middle of this hallway," I threaten. "You have no idea what you're talking about."

"It's not my fault you can't keep your legs shut," he says.

"Watch your mouth."

"You watch yours," he says and snickers. His friends do the same. My cheeks heat up with shame.

"Okay, sure, I'm the whore," I say slowly. "But how can you criticize me when there are two of us in the picture? What about him?"

"It's different for guys. A key that opens all locks is a master key. A lock that opens for every key is a faulty lock."

My eyes narrow. Maybe I'm not completely in control of my temper, but any man who compares a woman to a faulty lock deserves to have his shit rocked. Not to mention that kissing one guy didn't make me a whore, but it was nobody's business how many guys I had. One of the benefits of bodily autonomy.

My hand closes around my wand, but I feel a hand on my arm. I tear my narrowed eyes from Robert and meet Viktor's eyes. His eyebrows are raised as he takes my wand, leaving my hand empty.

All the better.

I march over to Robert and smack him across the face as hard as I can. He stumbles to the side, and if the stinging of my palm is any indication, I gave him a good one.

"You'll never get a girl if you call any one who touches a man a whore," I spit as he curses at me.

When Viktor's hand closes around my arm, I allow him to tug me away, afraid that Robert might reciprocate. As angry as I was a moment ago, the norepinephrine is no longer doing the trick, and suddenly, I feel as though maybe slapping Robert wasn't the move.

"He deserved it," I say. I don't want Viktor to think poorly of me.

"I know he did, but you are better than that," he says quietly. "Come on."

I huff and follow him when he drops my arm.

"Where are we going?" I ask him, looking at his hand, which is closed tightly around my wand, his knuckles whiter than the rest of his hand.

"I do not know... somewhere quiet where we can talk," he says and leads me to an empty stairwell. He sighs and sits down on the steps.

"Sorry," I say and sit beside him. "Did you, uh—Did you see the picture?"

"I did."

"I'm sorry about that, too."

"It is good," he says, "to have a good kiss immortalized."

I blush and look down at my lap.

"I figure that you would have regretted it," he says and runs a hand over the back of his neck, "if I had let you kill the boy in the middle of the hallway."

"He said some things I didn't like. I was willing to do the time."

Viktor furrows his eyebrows, and I have just enough time to wonder if he understands the expression before he says, "I am sorry about the picture."

"It doesn't matter," I say. "I just don't understand why she is actively trying to make life harder for us."

"She is only doing her job."

"Why can't she do what she was actually hired to do?" I ask. "I mean, report about the tournament?"

"I do not know. You know that boy was wrong, right? About what he said?"

"Yeah," I sigh and lean my elbows on the step behind me. "He's just a jerk but he shouldn't be able to say things like that unchecked."

"You should speak with your headmaster about it rather than get yourself into trouble."

"I know," I admit, "but sometimes I think that if I just showed them one time that I'm not a person that they call walk all over, then maybe they would leave me alone."

"You are too good to do that," he says. "Let's report this first and then if anyone else says anything to you, I will take care of it. I do not have a reputation to uphold."

"Yes you do," I say with a laugh. "You more than I do."

"But people expect me to be neurotic. If I fight someone, it will be okay," he says.

"Let's both promise to sheath our weapons," I say and lean forward, finding an excellent opportunity to feel him up. "This one first." I poke his bicep. Frustratingly hard under my finger.

"I will never use it to harm another," he says. "What about this one?" He sets his hand on top of my still-stinging one.

"Holstered," I say and shove it into my pocket.

"And what about this one?" he asks, pressing his thumb into my lip. "You say some terrible things when you are angry."

"Maybe... maybe you can holster that one?" I say and scoot a little closer to him.

He holsters it in the best way imaginable.

Happy Valentine's Day friends! Hope y'all enjoy the bonus chapter!!! 💕