"I'm sorry," Azriel murmured, following behind her. Aurora turned the hot water on and wrapped her arms around herself, glaring down at the tub as tears filled her eyes. She didn't understand why she felt this way. She was home, yet still felt trapped. Being here with Az was everything she had fought for, but she still felt like she was going to breakdown at any moment. Azriel's hand ghosted over her waist as he stood beside her. "Aurora."

She lifted her eyes to him, the tears brimming. He held her face, thumbs running beneath her eyes. He had wanted to say something, but she didn't know what because he just leaned down and pressed a long kiss to her forehead. She held her stance, arms crossed. Something hurt but she had no idea what it was.

"I want to bathe," Aurora choked out. Azriel nodded, his lips grazing her skin.

"Let me help you. I'll wash your hair," he whispered. Aurora settled at that. She wanted his touch but wanted to be alone. He was a shadow, he knew how to go unnoticed in a room. She climbed into the steaming water, pressing her knees to her chest. Azriel turned off the faucet and began pouring soaps into the water. An array of pine, jasmine, and cedar filled the air. Aurora rested her cheek on her knees, feeling Azriel collect her hair and begin brushing it. She grimaced at the sight of leaves and pine needles floating around her.

When her hair was free of knots, Azriel began to pour warm water over it. He then collected a dollop of liquid soap into his hand and began massaging it into her hair. Aurora didn't say anything, she didn't move. Why did it feel like she had died? She won, what more did she need?

Azriel rinsed the soap from her hair and then grabbed a washcloth to scrub her skin. When he began to go lower than her shoulders, Aurora sat up and took the cloth from his hand. "I can do it," she muttered. Azriel stayed kneeled by the tub, arms resting on the edge. When Aurora felt clean enough, she rested the cloth on the side of the tub. Azriel stood and held out a hand, a towel in the other. Aurora accepted it and climbed from the tub, letting him wrap the towel around her. He finished with a kiss to her cheek.

"Do you want to go eat?" He muttered, tugging her into him. Aurora nodded. She wasn't hungry, but knew she had to eat something. The two of them walked back into the bedroom and Aurora leaned against the bed as he shuffled through her clothes. He took out a pair of underwear and bra, then green Night Court attire. "Please, let me," he requested, dropping to a knee beneath her. Aurora just stared down at him, jaw locked. He slid the underwear on beneath the towel and then the pants. Aurora met his eyes as he stood and tugged the towel from her. He then put on her bra and the shirt, leaving it with a kiss on her shoulder.

"Azriel," Aurora whispered, looking over her shoulder. He hummed as he left another kiss. She didn't know why she said his name, nor what she wanted to tell him in that moment. Aurora inhaled deeply, turning with his hand on her waist. She faced him and ran her fingers up his jaw to his hair. Azriel smiled softly down at her. This was another one of those moments; another moment where her heart swelled just by looking at him. Her eyes pricked with unknown tears as she rose onto her toes and kissed him slowly. Azriel's hand splayed across her lower back, gently pulling her closer.

"Let's go, darling," he whispered against her lips. Aurora sighed in disappointment but held his hand on her waist as he walked her to the dining room. The stairs were a challenge with her pain, but it was doable. As they passed the sitting room, Azriel stiffened. Aurora slowed, looking up at him. He was staring at the sitting room doorway, face darkening. Shadows climbed above him, tickling Aurora's skin as they reached out. "Stay put." He brought his arm from her waist and began stalking into the room. Anxiety climbed up Aurora's spine, ears perked.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Azriel's voice was lethal, pounding in her chest. Aurora limped forward, peering into the room. Elain was perched on a chair, wide eyes up at him.

"I- I was told Rhysand wanted to meet with me," she stammered. Aurora saw how she pressed herself into the back of the chair. Azriel was towering above her, his knees nearly touching hers. One hand was on the armrest, the other inching toward the dagger on his thigh.

"You sent my mate to her fucking death. Do you know how she returned to us? She was fucking broken, she was-."

"Azriel! Stop," Aurora called out from the doorway. Elain's eyes snapped to her, a small hint of relief. Azriel didn't turn to her.

"I told you to stay put, Aurora," he snapped. Aurora clenched her jaw as she limped further into the room. There was no way she'd be able to stop him.

"You don't get to tell me what to do," she responded in the same tone. Azriel scoffed, the dagger rising from its leather hold.

"Say you're fucking sorry, Elain," Azriel growled. Her eyes snapped back to his.

"I- I'm sorry," she squeaked out. Azriel's knuckles were white around the armrest.

"Not to me, Elain." She turned back to Aurora, throat bobbing as a terrified expression sat on her face.

"I'm sorry, Aurora. I was just jealous, I knew that telling Beron would get you out of here," Elain spoke quickly, a small yelp leaving her when Azriel's blade glinted in the light. Aurora heard someone coming down the stairs and snapped her head in the direction.

"Rhys!" She shouted. The High Lord's eyes filled with a sense of confusion before widening and he rushed into the room.

"Damn it, Azriel," he bellowed, grabbing the Shadowsinger's arm and yanking him from Elain. He stumbled back, glaring at Rhysand.

"She's a threat to my mate, Rhysand. Do you remember sending Nesta out of the city for making Feyre cry? Well, Elain sent my mate to duel her bloodthirsty brother. Do you honestly think that I'm in the wrong here?" Azriel boomed. Rhysand flinched as he blocked Elain from him.

"Do not compare this to that. Get a fucking hold of yourself," Rhysand snapped. Aurora could feel the darkness reaching out from the two, their power colliding with lethal threats. She had never seen Azriel size up to his High Lord like this. A sinister grin stretched across her mate's lips as his eyes flicked down to Elain, hidden behind Rhys.

"I torture people for fun, Elain. Remember that the next time you cross Aurora. You, too, Rhys," he snapped. Azriel began to turn, the dagger moving towards its holster, but Rhysand exploded with the night. Darkness filled the room as Aurora could taste his fury.

"Did you just threaten me? Did you just threaten your High Lord, Azriel? Get the fuck out of my face before I do something I'll regret." Aurora stumbled back at the sheer power behind Rhysand's words.

"Do not act like I'm in the fucking wrong, Rhys. You know what this feels like, you know that I would tear down anyone to keep her safe. If that means my High Lady's sister, then I fucking will. Do not treat me like I am lesser than you with these feelings. You lied to your mate, and Nesta stood up for her, and you sent her out of this city before you destroyed her. Do the fucking same with Elain," Azriel shouted. Aurora's wide eyes trailed over the vein on his neck, the dagger clutched in his hand.

Rhysand was terrifying, but in this moment, her Shadowsinger was the deadliest creature in Prythian. Even she trembled under his eyes as he turned to her. Azriel didn't give Rhysand the chance to speak as he wrapped his arm around Aurora's waist, gentle despite the cold rage emanating from him.