Treehouse

Jake was so overwhelmed that he felt his feet moving him out of the house.

He was lost and couldn't think straight.

He left his house and wandered aimlessly in the street of his childhood hometown.
He had had time to explore every little detail of the village when he was a child. He knew it like the back of his hand and right now, that knowledge was coming to be very useful.

He took the path of the old park, the one in which he used to play with his childhood best friend.
Behind the swing, there were several trees and Jake walked closer to them, wondering if it was still there.

He had to look around, but after a short time, he noticed the dark yet familiar shape in the crooked tree.
Jake started climbing up, soon reaching the first plank.

He couldn't help but let a smile appear on his lips and he entered the small treehouse.

It had been there for as long as he could remember and he used to play inside as much as possible when he was a child.

Well, his best friend and him.

Jake laid his back against the wooden wall and closed his eyes.

Unfortunately, his childhood was long gone, and with it, his innocence. Jake was now a nineteen years old adult and he had to face real grownups life things.

But dealing with that could wait.

Jake wanted to make the world stop for a while, and this shelter was the best place for that.

Jake looked around, and the treehouse was just as he remembered, but smaller.
He smiled as the memories filled the small room.  His best friend and him used to pretend this was a magical spaceship that could bring them wherever they wanted. They even had a secret hideout in which they hid the drawings and plans of their imaginary trips.

Wonder if...

Jake kneeled in frond of the plank that could be removed. He slowly lifted it, revealing the old hideout. Jake reached for the box, that was surprisingly still there.

He took it out, placed it in front of him and turned the flashlight of his phone. Hope rose in his chest as much as fear.
They were just children's drawings, but they meant so much to him.
He didn't want to open the box and see that they had gone missing.

He took a deep breath and opened the box rapidly, as if he was ripping a bandaid.

A sight of relief left his mouth when he saw that the box was filled with pieces of paper.

He smiled, going through them with enthusiasm.

However, his smile slowly faded. There were no drawings. Just words.
Pages and pages of words.

Jake frowned.

Where did the drawings go?
And who wrote those?
Why put them here?

So many questions that could only be answered one way: reading them.

So Jake did.

Before he knew it, he was absorbed. These pages were in fact a diary and even though Jake felt it was wrong reading them -they were in fact someone else's privacy-, he kept going.

It was all just fascinating until the last page.
The last page broke his heart.

The author had described how they had felt about loosing their father, and how much they had struggled.
Jake felt his heart dropping which each sentence. He could only relate to this person.

He who had just lost his mother.

Reading the journal did in a way soothe him. It had put words on all of the emotions he was feeling. It had put an outline that was now keeping him from going insane.
And more importantly, he felt understood.

This unknown author understood him.

Jake felt tears running down his cheeks and he let them. He needed to read the pages until the end. He needed to know how it ended.
He needed to know wether he would overcome all of his pain.

Unfortunately, the author hadn't given any answers.

They had expressed how they were feeling, that is all.

Jake sighed as he gathered the pages and carefully placed them back into the old box.

Perhaps there weren't any real answers... perhaps there was only time.
Jake had to wait for the pain to slowly wash away.

An hour

Two hours

Three hours

Time had passed, but clearly not enough in the small magical caban of his childhood.
Jake was freezing by now and he had decided to go home when he heard footsteps below him.

He frowned, waiting for the person to leave the park. For some reason, he didn't want to be seen climbing down the tree. It was probably someone walking their dog, it wouldn't take long.
At least that's what Jake was thinking.

Reality was a bit different and Jake came to realize that when he heard the familiar sounds one made while climbing a tree: branches moving slightly, feet on the planks, muffled gasps due to effort.

Jake froze where he was, the box still next to him.

After what seemed to be a long yet too short time, the top of a head appeared, soon followed by the rest of the boy.
As Jake's flash light was near to him, he couldn't see the person's face just yet. The other way around wasn't true, though.

Jake felt eyes on him and his stress level raised instantly.

"Jake?" asked the person.

Jake frowned. That couldn't be...

Or could it?

"Sunghoon?" he asked back.

~

Hi everyone!
As you might know, My Lifeline is finished, but I will continue updating this book with En- ships and I opened a new one for all kpop ships
Feel free to request ships you want to read about!

Love,
Big sis AuthorNim ❤️