𝟐𝟔 | 𝐆𝐔𝐈𝐋𝐓

──────────────────

WANDA DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT when she managed to put Y/N to sleep in the medical bay. The girl hoped it would have been widely different to what she had seen before, and at one moment she almost pulled her hand away.

Y/N's mind was an interesting place. For one, she didn't expect so many doors. When Wanda invaded the consciousness of another, she often found herself in a corridor, with different doors on either sides.

Some were labelled, some weren't. When Wanda manipulated the Avengers' minds two months ago, she had simply opened the desired door and released their inner demons to their minds.

But with Y/N, the hallway felt off. The air was constricting, as if she was going to be swallowed up. Back in Africa, she had barely managed to force a vision, even without the mental barrier.

Thanks to Dr. Cho's use of SHIELD's anaesthetics, she was now able to access more of his doors. She walked through the prison-like hallway, sliding grates back and forth to watch snippets of his life.

Wanda saw Y/N's birth, the faces of his parents, and how he was taken by HYDRA as a young boy. As she made her way along, Wanda caught glimpses of experimentation, and missions Y/N went on for the organisation.

She was right. The two of them were more alike than Wanda had previously thought.

Making her way further along the hall, the pressure became even more unbearable. Wanda opened another grate and watched as the Battle of Sokovia played out in slow motion.

Wanda was amazed at how Y/N had risked his life to save her from the city. Both of them had also expressed their thanks to Vision for saving them. The red android had quickly proved his worth as a staple of the New Avengers.

Amongst flashes of her home's battle, Wanda caught a glimpse of his haggard breathing in an alley, then watched as his expression faltered before running off in the direction of the Helicarriers.

She tried to open the door, but it remained firmly locked.

A pain suddenly coursed through Wanda's head. Echoes of Y/N's voice rang in her ear.

"Get out of my head..." he whispered to her. "Get. Out."

Wanda shuddered as she tried to open the memory one last time before Y/N kicked her from his mind. No luck, as she came back to the real world and collapsed into a chair.

Helen checked her as the Sokovian recovered from the mental ordeal. "Did it work?" She asked, turning to the medical expert. A look from Helen to Y/N's body showed his unconscious frame, his head rolled on one side.

"I'd say that it worked," Helen agreed, letting Wanda stand up. She smiled as her temporary regenerator worked over Y/N's body, carefully repairing muscle tissue and skin.

"Get some rest," Helen told her. Wanda nodded, realising her jacket had fallen off when looking into Y/N's mind. She picked it up and smiled when she took another look at Y/N before leaving, trying to make sense of what she saw in his head.

But she only focused on one thing.

"He drools in his sleep..."

▝ ▝ ▝ ▝

Y/N'S STEP FALTERED as he ran on the treadmill. Steve had determined that Y/N prove he was ready to re-enter the field after his mission injury, and that included several physical tests.