Fifteen | "I'll try better next time."

Start from the beginning

Elijah shrugged casually, but she could tell he was smug about having caught her by surprise. "Sure. It's always good to remember that it's not about the situation, but the attitude. I read it during high school after learning some news that sent me head-over-asshole." When he saw the silent question in her eyes, he shook his head with a chuckle. "I'll tell you one day, Nosy Nancy. Maybe after you tell me your story, or maybe before, but I'll tell you one day."

That was fair enough, she supposed, even though she couldn't see herself confessing much to him anytime soon. As comfortable as she felt with Elijah, opening the wounds caused by the accident was a terrifying thought.

"What's your favorite read, doll?"

"Will you laugh at me if I say anything in the Nancy Drew series?"

His smile grew, implying that he wanted to laugh at her, but he refrained. "No way: It's only appropriate, right? You're my Nosy Nancy, after all."

She tried to scowl, but her damn lips wouldn't stop twitching upwards. "Shut up," she grumbled.

"You don't mean that."

He was right.

"You're right."

Now he really did laugh. "I know, babe, that's why I said it. So, Nancy Drew, huh? What do you like about her?"

Liza shrugged. "She's younger than me, but she's brave as hell." And, had she been a real person, Liza would admire her even more; Nancy Drew got into trouble in nearly every chapter of her fictional life, and yet she never stopped pushing forward and doing what she loved.

As cliché and unattainable as it was, Liza adored the idea of doing the same.

Plus, she didn't do well reading things with gory details or heavy topics; Nancy Drew books were fantastic because, although they weren't total candy reads, they were light and never failed to entertain her.

Elijah hummed thoughtfully. "Bravery never hurts, but it's important to have balance, babe."

"What kind of balance?"

There was something like a secret tucked in the creases of his lips when he smiled again. "The kind that knows when to hold back, and when to push."

Liza's brow furrowed. "Are you trying to imply something?"

"You're smart, Nancy," he cheeked, "you'll figure it out."

She had to stop from scowling again. What the hell was he trying to tell her?

Nosy she was; skilled in sleuthing like Nancy Drew she (apparently) was not.

"Well, if you don't figure it out, then I'll clue you in—no pun intended—but you seem smart as hell, doll, so you'll get it." His eyes shifted then, until he was gazing at the dog tucked against her side. "Is he a therapy dog, by the way? I'm only guessing he is, honestly, but I thought I saw a vest on him when you were out walking one day."

"You saw me walking?" she had to work to hold back a screech of surprise and outrage.

She thought she'd only gone when he wasn't home! Hadn't she? Right? Hadn't she?!

Elijah spared her a rather sheepish smile. "I've got security cameras outside my front door; had a bit of an incident at my last place, and put them out just to be safe. Saw you on them when I was reviewing footage one day."

"Is that why you moved?"

He held up a finger and wiggled it around, clicking his tongue. "Nuh-uh-uh, babe, not so fast. My question needs to be answered first, please."