"We will come for you." Rhysand spoke into her mind. Aurora swallowed hard, fighting the tears that threatened her eyes as she stared at them, at her family.

"Come now, Eris is at the estate," Beron cooed, and then they all vanished into darkness. Aurora could've sworn she heard Azriel scream her name, but it was a faint glimmer in her mind as Beron winnowed them to his Court.

A warm breeze kissed Aurora's skin as they appeared in front of a large estate. It was made of brick, looking cozy from afar. Aurora lifted her chin and refused to cry.

"You wanted your own room? Fine. You have it, but don't plan to sleep in it tonight," Beron grumbled, tugging her along by the arm. The soldiers followed behind as they walked to the wooden doors. They swung open and Eris was seen pacing back and forth in the entryway as they walked in. He stopped when he saw Aurora, a grin etched on his lips.

"Ah, sister. Glad to finally meet you," Eris feigned a greeting, bowing slightly at the waist. Aurora squinted at him, but when she opened her mouth to speak, Beron interrupted her.

"Eris, show Aurora to her room," he ordered, shoving her forward. Aurora nearly tripped over her feet but Eris caught her with a bruising grip on her arm. She tugged her arm free and glared at his grinning face.

"Come on," he told her, motioning to the stairs. Aurora sheathed her sword as she followed him, glancing behind her to see Beron smiling with his arms crossed while watching them ascend.

"Why pretend you don't know me? Did you forget you sentenced me to death?" Aurora asked, matching Eris's steps. He flicked his eyes down to her.

"Beron isn't aware I was working with Tamlin. Please, keep it between us," he explained. Aurora scoffed.

"Are you asking me to protect you? You sent me to my death, Eris. Brother or not, I will never protect you," she snapped. Eris turned, grabbing her shoulders and shoving her back against the wall. She grunted, glaring at him.

"Listen here, sister. Brother or not, I have the power to decide if you live or die. Do you want to see your mate again? You will not fight back when we duel, I let you live, and you get banished. Never return here, and you can live a happy life with the Shadowsinger. Got it?"

Aurora didn't respond, but rather collected saliva on her tongue and spat onto his face. Eris growled, wiping her saliva from his skin.

"Damn it, Aurora! All I want is to be High Lord. Lose to me, I will not kill you, and you will be sent home," he seethed. Aurora cooled the fury that built in her, forcing a nod so he would let her go. He did, and she shoved off the wall, still glaring at him.

"Just take me to my room."

Eris began marching down the corridor, stopping in front of a door around the middle of it. Aurora joined him and opened the door. It was normal, something she didn't expect. The last High Lord that stole her away kept her in a cellar, but this was an average guest room. She entered and kicked the door shut in Eris's face.

Anger rose in her body, and the anguish of not having Azriel here. She wondered what he was doing back at the Night Court. Was he scolding Elain, or comforting her? Was he tearing apart the estate or arguing with Rhysand? With a sigh, Aurora fell against the bed.

One more battle. Only one more battle and she'd be able to live happily. All she'd have to do is lose. Aurora climbed onto the bed, weapons still strapped. She sat along the headboard, staring out the small window. It was a beautiful Court, a place she'd love to call home if she could. Groves of orange and red trees stretched across fields and climbed hills, a small stream trickling in the center.

Aurora wondered when this duel would take place, why she'd only have to fight against Eris and not the other two, whom she had not heard much of. Eris must've proven himself against them and they became nothing more than members of the Court.

A knock sounded, and Aurora groaned. It hadn't been five minutes since Eris left. She climbed from the bed and marched to the door, cracking it open just enough to see who it was. A guard stood in front of the door, green eyes falling to her.

"The duel will take place in the morning. Rest tonight, I will retrieve you when it is time," he spoke. Aurora hummed in response and shut the door. It was hardly afternoon, so she'd have to sit and wait for hours. There was no way she'd join them for meals, not when Eris had given Tamlin and Lucien Faebane the last time she saw him. She'd make no mistake and make it out of this alive. Aurora climbed back onto the bed and stared out the window again.

A small red fox chased squirrels past trees, birds and bugs flying just beyond the window. She sat and watched, thinking of the life she had yet to live in the Night Court. Just this morning was when she finally felt love from Azriel; she'd been so happy. Everything had changed in mere hours. Now she was stuck here with her father and brother, and Azriel was home.

The hours went by slowly. She stayed in the same spot and watched as the sun peaked and began to fall. Only when the sunset began to cast a purple glow did she remove the sword and dagger from her leathers. She slid beneath the blanket, laying the sword along the edge of the bed beside her and the dagger rested in her palm beneath the pillow.

Aurora didn't sleep, hardly even closed her eyes, but when the door creaked open nearing midnight, her body went rigid. She heard footsteps ever so quietly coming near her. Aurora sucked in a breath, eyes set wide on the overcast night outside. When the bed began to dip, that's when she struck. Aurora clutched the dagger, slipping her hand from beneath the pillow and spinning. The dagger made contact with the intruder's shoulder, a strained gasp leaving them. She slid from beneath the blanket and sent her boot into the person's stomach, jumping from the bed when she heard them hit the ground.

Flames erupted on the candles that were set around the room, and Aurora dropped down. Her knees pinned their arms as she straddled their waist, dagger raised. It was the same guard that had been there to tell her the duel was in the morning, his green eyes wide as he bled from his shoulder.

"What the fuck are you doing?" She snarled, lowering the dagger to his throat. The guard was panting, and Aurora could see the panic in his eyes. She looked down at the hand that was splayed on the ground, a dagger resting just beside it. "Were you going to try and kill me?" She snapped. The guard closed his eyes a moment as he tried to catch his breath.

"Eris sent me. He thought it would be best to kill you while you slept," he exclaimed, and the panic was surely in his voice. Aurora's nostrils flared, jaw clenching.

"When you see Eris in death, tell him that I refused to give you mercy. Tell him that I wish things could've gone easier, but that your death is on his hands," Aurora spat, and then took the dagger and drove it through his throat. She felt the crunch of bone as it went through his spine, green eyes hazing over. Blood splattered her face, but she didn't care. Aurora twisted the blade, ensuring his death was instant as she severed his spinal column. She promised herself then that Eris would meet the same fate.