chapter thirty

Viv here: hi yes I've messed up the povs but I'd written out this entireeee chapter and I needed it to be done like this so deal with it :*

— TALIA —

song of the chapter: question...? by taylor swift

"I wonder if I should feel bad for all of the times I've let you drive me," I chuckled as I buckled up. We were on our way to the wedding venue, a beautiful country house in Cambridgeshire, a fifty minute drive from King's Lynn. "But then again I don't have a car, you're a millionaire and you drive for a living."

George chuckled. "I was gonna say, I haven't heard you complaining before. Why start now?"

"I'm not complaining!" I argued with a laugh. "Just making a statement."

All that got was a side glance and a shake of the head, amusement showing in the slight tug at the corner of his right lip. His left hand was on top of the steering wheel, fingers drumming along to the current song playing on the radio, while his right hand rested on the gearstick.

I vaguely recognised the song, but from the way George was humming and tapping away excitedly, it made me think he was more than familiar with it. "You don't know this song?" He finally asked, noticing my fixation on his hands. Which might have been because of more than just the rhythmic tapping against the steering wheel, but that... was another case.

I shook my head, ripping open the packet of Maltesers in my lap and popping one in my mouth. George had gotten them for me, they'd been on my chair when I got into the car. "You want?" I asked, still chewing.

George laughed and shook his head. "Maybe later. They're for you, anyways. I know you like them."

"Thank you," I smiled, my heart doing a somersault in my chest, reminding me of the impending doom this weekend would bring. I had decided I would tell him the morning after the wedding; maybe even the evening of, after the celebrations. I just needed to find the right moment.

George leaned towards the screen, now showcasing the navigation programme, but with one click it switched to Spotify. He was playing from his liked songs, and he skipped back to repeat the song before switching back to the navigation panel.

"It's Question...? by Taylor Swift. I'm surprised you don't recognise it," George hummed. "I thought this was your favourite album of hers."

The familiarity clicked into place. I'd been in a rap mood lately, so had abandoned all of my usual pop songs for at least a month. "I can't believe I didn't recognise it!"

"You have been downgraded from top tier swiftie status," George kissed his teeth, pretending to be disappointed. "You've been demoted to amateur."

'Cause I don't remember who I was before you
Painted all my nights
A colour I've searched for since