chapter ten

— GEORGE —

— GEORGE —

Talia and I texted more than I would like to admit. She was the first person I messaged once I woke up, and hers were the last words on my screen before I fell asleep. It wasn't like we were talking all day, but we kept up with each other's lives while she had class, revised for her exams, hung out with her friends and while I went to sponsor meetings, did my training, and hung out with my buddies.

I was making myself breakfast, having just come back from a run, when my phone vibrated on my marble kitchen counter.

Crazy Stalker
so, I'm finally seeing Layla again todayy
i haven't seen her face to face since her bday party

Exciting.
Guess you'll have much to catch up on?

I'm not planning to tell her about us

The message sent a blow straight to my stomach, making me lose my balance and almost knock the pan off the stove. I flipped my omelette and took a sip of water, regaining my composure.

Us?

not like our friendship
I mean that night

The anxiety in the pit of my stomach eased, and I allowed myself to take a breath. My gaze landed on her contact name, and I realised I should probably change it at some point. The joke had gotten old. Even if it were just a joke I shared with myself and nobody else. I did that quickly, then went back to responding to her.

Talia Agu
I just don't want her to say "I told you so!!"

I get that. Don't worry about it, I won't say anything.

thanks, georgie
so what's on the agenda for you today?

I've got a CrossFit class and then I've
got a meeting with my manager later.
Gotta pick out brand deals and
stuff for the year.

let's hope you're better at it than at ice skating

Not everyone can be a natural like you, miss Agu.

that, is the first thing you've said that
i've agreed with

That is definitely a lie.

case in point

Agree to disagree?

i disagree to agree

That made absolutely zero sense, love.

ugh, i know. uni is frying my brain

Just two more hours, right? Then you can go home and sleep.

yes! I cannot wait!!!

I laughed at her message and shook my head, turning the stove off and plating my breakfast, sitting at the counter and taking the first bite. I scrolled through Instagram, seeing Alex's stories in Thailand and Lando's golf morning with mates. Some of my other friends were in Mexico, having the time of their lives.

Cara
I am in the middle of a crisis.
Do I do an all white bouquet or do I mix it up with light pink or light yellow?
I need to make a decision tonight
I'm already late, should've done this months ago
Darren is no help.

My eyes widened at the messages.

Talia Agu

All white bouquet, or with yellow and pink?
It's for my sister's wedding
She's asking me to choose and I have no clue.

does she have a colour theme for the general decorations
and table settings and stuff?

No clue. Let me ask.

Cara

What's your wedding theme?

Midnight blue and gold.

Okay one second.

I forwarded her message to Talia and took another bite of my breakfast, waiting patiently for her response.

Talia Agu
There's this one that I think would be amazing
[see attached]
Blue roses are also rare, which adds pzazz.

You are amazing. I'll forward this to her right away.

No problem! Say hi to her for me.

I'd forgotten that Talia probably knew Cara—with them having lived in the same town for a couple of years. I shook that thought away and forwarded the messages to Cara, glancing at the clock and realising I had to start getting ready for the meeting with my manager. I put the dishes away in the sink and, with a sigh, made my way to the bathroom.

— —

Once I walked out of the meeting with my manager, my phone started to ring. My heartbeat picked up at the prospect that it might be Talia, so when I saw Lando's name flash across the screen I couldn't help but be slightly disappointed.

"Hey Russell!" He shouted through the phone, loud buzzing in the background. "Wanna join me and my lads for dinner? We're thinking of going to a place in Notting Hill Max likes, might hit a club afterwards."

I contemplated it for a moment, then realised I didn't have anything else to do tonight except watch another episode of Dynasty. "Sure, send me the address and I'll be there."

"Will do! See ya."

I disconnected the call and headed towards my car, but stopped dead in my tracks right as I reached for the handle. Across from me, a regrettably familiar figure walked out of the same doors I had just stood in front of. With long, cascading blonde hair, a figure-hugging white dress and a black Hermes bag, I could recognise her even from down the street in a heartbeat. She had her phone pressed against her ear, red-painted lips moving slowly as she spoke.

Claire Hemmingway.

"George!" She exclaimed, and a rock dropped in my stomach. She ended the call quickly, and walked towards me, leaning against the hood of my G-wagon. "How are you?"

"I'm good, thanks," I said briskly, pulling the door open. "I'd love to stay and chat, but I have somewhere to be."

"Oh," She pouted, "I guess I'll see you in King's Lynn with Christmas?"

The word Christmas sent a chill down my spine. I couldn't believe her, so all I did was scoff and reach into my car. "Goodbye, Claire."

I drove off down the street, leaving her standing on the sidewalk with a confused pout on her lips. My blood was boiling, my knuckles turning white with how tightly they were gripping the steering wheel.

Thank God I'd said yes to Lando's request. I definitely needed to blow off some steam.

— —

Oh no... trouble in George's paradise. Who do you think Claire is? Thanks for being understanding about the late-ish update and hope you enjoyed! Thanks also for 6k 🫶🏻

QUESTION: what's your top three places you wanna visit in the near future?

ANSWER: Bali, Paris (going tomorrow!!), New York

Love, V x