Chapter 9 - Supporting My Rival

So I know I said that I'd try to get back on a weekly schedule for this fic. And it Doesn't seem likely until January. Honestly, the sports festival is extremely boring to write for me and I dragged myself through this chapter for the past two months until I got something I genuinely liked. Instead of spreading the Cavalry Battle in two chapters as originally planned, I kinda shortened it into one chapter to only showcase Ayumi's POV instead of both hers and Katsuki's. 

I hope y'all enjoy this altered and hopefully entertaining sequence with a flashback tangled in between.

***

Katsuki

Tangerine (Yumi) got third place.

I don't know how the hell she did it, but one second she was at least twenty meters away from me. And the next she was right behind me encasing my hands in metal so I couldn't continue exploding my way through.

It was a dirty trick.

But hell it was smart. Not that I'll ever admit it.

I've already screamed at the grass for the circumstances and now I glare at her back as she congratulates the shitty Nerd, standing close to him as the pervy Sensei starts describing the details of the next round.

It's a cavalry battle, and the goal is simple: the person with the most points wins. And Deku got the most of 'em, I just need to take his band.

Now, I'm not the first one to get excited for group contests, but if I had to be in one to win, so be it. I just need to make sure whoever is gonna to be on my team are extras who are the best and most balanced.

My first choice would've been Tangerine. But after seeing her follow behind Deku and Round face, I know she's already joined their team.

It doesn't take long for a crowd to surround me though. I enjoy the attention, of course they all know and understand I'm the best.

But hell I don't remember any of their names, forget their quirks.

Shitty hair is soon clasping a hand on my shoulder, his grip similar to Kirigaya's in my dreams.

"I'll be your stead," He says, confidently pointing at himself with his thumb. "Unwavering like a wall, reliable to carry the team forward."

I smirk wide and intrigued. He's the perfect one for the front of the cavalry.

He then recommends Pinky. After she explains her acid quirk, I give her the right flank position. When I see Tape arms approaching nearer, I point at him, telling him he'll be in charge of the left flank.

Soon the teams are all made, and everyone takes their positions, waiting for the match to begin, waiting to conquer Deku and his million points.

And as I glare at his team in the far corner, seeing Tangerine (Yumi) cover their right flank, I can't help but recall last night's dream.

~~~

Kousuke

We are greeted by my first counsel, the first friend I'd made outside of royalty, Zuko Midori.

He's the kindest man I've known, the kindest man who I still question why he is by my right hand when I was such a cruel and cynical man to him. All because he was magicless. Until he reached fourteen summers that is.

That was the summer he saved me from a monster in the woods–a feral, furred and fanged beast with talons for claws, eyes dripped in blood, and a cry that stuttered my breath; the first hunt I had gone to without company and the very hunt he advised against despite my mocking him.