Chapter 3 - Nerves Alight

Ayumi

My boots clank against the floating metal steps I create as I head forward. Bakago is beside me, the heat of his explosions that propel him forward, toast the metal, barely singe my skin too. And Kirishima-kun remains hot on our trail, just a few steps behind us as he runs as fast as he could.

Bakago and I had a silent agreement to ignore the whisper he let out minutes ago.

"Aya." He'd said.

Honestly, when I heard that name, I felt like my entire universe was flipped upside down. That must've been how he'd felt when I called him Kou.

We finally reach the center of the USJ, all our eyes searching for the warp gate.

The sight is horrific.

All Might is held tight in a death grip from the navy blue human-like creature. I don't even think it's remotely human with its claws digging into All Might's side, crimson blood seeping into his white dress shirt.

Then I see Midoriya-kun, screaming with tears streaming down his cheeks as he runs forward. The warp gate is there within a second,

"Look out!" I scream, sending out metal braces to pull him away.

And while that happens, Bakago screeches too, "Get out of the way, Deku!" Exploding the warp gate, he clenches onto the metal brace and slams the villain on the floor.

Simultaneously, I feel a cold chill creep up my spine. I turn around to see Todoroki-kun has also come to the debacle, freezing the brain-exposed creature with such precision that All Might can set himself free.

He pulls himself free from the non-human creature's clutches, and holds his side with a wince while increasing the distance between himself and the frozen villain.

Todoroki-kun walks up beside me, and I can't help but stare at his side.

These two. Bakago and Todoroki-kun, so effortlessly flipped the tables on the villains. Not only assisting in outnumbering them, but also keeping two at bay.

I really need to work harder.

Suddenly, Bakago snarls, his voice loud and commanding. "If you try anything funny, I'll blow you to hell." A vicious smile graces his lips as he hands the threat.

He's efficient, I'll give him that. But his vulgar vocabulary could use some work.

"That's not very heroic." Kirishima takes the words out of my mouth, chuckling at his new friend's threats.

I can't help but scoff, eyeing the hand covered man. "No, but it did the job to piss off the man-child."

And on cue the man-child starts to itch his neck in frustration, "We're losing a game."

I raise a brow, eyes widening.

Losing a game! Is that what we are to him?!

"Well this is bad." He continues, distastefully so. "Kurogiri, you let the hero children get the better of you. Well it was expected of these hero children. Hmmmm.... Now we need to get our gate back." His scratching ceases at that vocal thought. He eyes at the creature unmoving in ice.

"Nomu."

His voice is angry and loud, chilly even as he calls it with a single command.

Like an interaction between a master and pet, the Nomu as the man-child called it, forcefully breaks free from its icy prison, losing its limbs in the process.

I'm numb when I see it happen. The sight of the inhuman thing moving, and then when it grows its right arm and leg from the bone to its muscle to its skin, I'm equally horrified and bewildered at its power. In moments, it's as good as new, standing tall next to its master, ready for its next command to be told.