Chapter 5 - Show You What I Got

The beginning of Kousuke's POV starts this chapter!!! Hope y'all like it <3

***

Kousuke

"My Lord, are you sure you heard a dame calling out in distress?" Kirigaya asks hesitantly, lugging my saddle behind him with little to no effort.

Kirigaya is a good man. One of the best in my army and my closest friend. His shapeshifting skills have made him just as famous as I, even if his name is not spread through the land, his true form is. However, regardless of his heightened senses from his beastly form, he still lacks when he's a mere human by my side.

I'm certain I heard the voice. A sweet calling tinged with desperation, with frustration. Whoever this dame is, she deserved the humanity of assistance. This much I know to be true.

I sniff the air, a bright scent of sunflowers laced in the wind from the south side.

"I'm sure, Kirigaya," I say. "I shall move forward, and when I find her, I shall summon you with my horn."

"Of course, my liege," He nods, his eyes glinting with determination and passion to follow my command.

He's always been like this. Loyal to a fault, the most reliable steed I could ever dream of having.

Despite my reputation of being a fearful, "barbaric" tyrant, I am anything but. I see no reason to deny entry in my lands if one wishes for a new beginning. I wish no harm on a person who can offer strength when in my land.

I only wish for one thing in exchange. Honesty. Honesty in my lands. Honesty in dealings with others and the society as a whole. But most of all, honesty to oneself.

You show honesty, and I'll do my best to provide you with the world and protection against the darkness hidden outside my kingdom. And by darkness I mean the corrupt kingdoms that neighbor my own.

The Haniyasu Kingdom is in the direction the scent comes from, the mountains filled with emeralds standing tall and hiding the castle behind them. The winds are always colder here, the sky dimmer, and the wolves hunting ground isn't too far from this frontier either.

The snow is relentless at this time of year, and my boots carve a path as I stalk through the trees. The sun has risen yet no rays peak through the clouds, just a warmth from the ball of fire suspended above us. And the warmth was nothing in comparison to fallen ice from last dark.

I hone in my senses, exploiting the last of the potion the witch gave me for this hunting trip. She said my ears would be more alert than a bat's, my eyes sharper than a hawk's, my nose more telling than a hound's.

The scent is stronger and with it a sound of clattering stones can be heard. No, not stones. Teeth.

I follow the sound, hearing puffs of breath echo between the rattles as I reach closer.

When I pass a pair of evergreen trees in my path I finally notice the dip in the ground. A pit meant for wolf hunting much like Kirigaya and I were meant to do today.

As I stalk closer, my eyes soak in the color of sunset peeking from the rim, and beneath it a cloak of darkness that did well on hiding the rest of her.

Then I take another step.

A careless step.

A thick twig breaks from under my sole, and with the break of silence I hear her breath hitch and pick up just slightly so.

"Hello!" She shivers as she calls out. Desperation is tangled on her tongue. "Please, would you help me out of this wretched trap kind fellow?!"

I tread closer, cautiously yet not concerned for keeping the silence. Who knows if she's an assassin tracking my movements? I must keep a level head before engaging with full trust.