Chapter 7 - The Arranged Marriage

Cillian POV

It had been just over a week since my talk with Anastasia and we were still no further. She seemed to be completely against the idea of choosing someone to marry. Whenever I brought it up with her, she would either stop talking to me or walk away. I just didn't know what to do, I was being as fair as I could be. Anastasia had known all of her life that whomever she married would become the Alpha, I couldn't understand why it was such a shock to her that I was trying to arrange a marriage for her now. I was even giving her as much choice as I could! My personal assistant had spent hours making folders with information about suitable mates for her. I wasn't going to make Ana marry somewhere she didn't like, I wasn't a monster. This felt like the fairest way to me, but she was having none of it. I wish I could just let her meet someone and fall in love, but what if he wasn't a suitable Alpha? Plus, with the most recent vampire attack, I wanted our pack to be united with another pack in order to make us stronger and to protect my daughter. A lone she-wolf is vulnerable and I didn't want that for her.
My own marriage had been arranged and I hadn't had half as much choice as I was giving to Anastasia. I had been 18 years old when the war broke out. My father and brother had gone to fight, but I had been commanded to stay at home. My older brother Gideon, was due to takeover the pack as Alpha and I would be placed as his Beta.
I wanted to join them in the fight, but my dad had insisted that there must always be a male from our bloodline in the pack house, so that the pack wasn't vulnerable. At the time, I thought it was stupid and I resented him for making me stay at home. But it turned out that my dad was right, he and my brother were both killed by vampires during the war, leaving me as Alpha. But that wasn't all I inherited. Gideon had been betrothed to Anya, the only daughter of the Alpha of full moon pack. With Gideon gone, Anya's parents were eager for her to marry me instead. They didn't care who she married, they just wanted her to be a Luna and with Blood moon pack being so large, they wanted us as allies. My mother felt the same, after the death of her husband and eldest son, she wanted to know that we were safe and the best way to do that was to become allies with the full moon pack. Within a matter of days, I had lost my dad and brother, become the Alpha of the Blood Moon pack and got married to Anya. We had a tiny ceremony, with just our parents present. Our wedding day was the first time we had ever met each other and I hated every minute of it. I didn't want a wife and I didn't want to be Alpha. I'd had a pretty easy ride up until that point, my dad had always been much stricter with Gideon, whereas I was given much more freedom. I didn't feel pressured in any way, sure I was going to be the packs Beta one day, but with Alpha blood running through my veins, a Beta role should be a walk in the park. Gideon was the one who was expected to marry well in order to forge links with other packs. As the second born son, marriage hadn't even been mentioned to me and that's the way I wanted it. When my dad and brother went off to fight, I had to take on some of the Alpha's responsibilities in order to keep the pack running efficiently, but I regularly shirked off my jobs in order to go and find Silver. Silver was one of the packs witches, who lived in a coven not far from the pack house. The witches had been tasked with putting anti-shimmer charms on the borders to keep out the vampires and fortifying the pack house with spells to keep us safe. Silver was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen and having her around the pack house for long periods of time, was a huge distraction. She had long silvery blonde hair that fell to her waist and grey eyes, which followed mine around a room. She openly flirted with me, winking at me if she caught my eye and licking her lips suggestively. Wherever I seemed to be in the pack house, she wouldn't be far away, we were drawn to each other like magnets. We rarely spoke, our eyes undressing each other at every opportunity. She wanted me and I wanted her. We stole kisses in corridors when no one was looking, my body pushing up against hers, our tongues exploring each others mouths with urgency. Each kiss making me crave the next one, causing me to be more daring in my methods to get her alone.
Two weeks before I became the Alpha, I called her to my office to ask for an update on the protective spells covering the pack house. If her coven thought it was strange that I asked for her and not one of the elders, they didn't make it known. But by this point, I imagine most of the staff in the house thought there was something going on between us. I didn't actually care about how the spells were going, Silver could stay here all year casting spells if she wanted to, I just wanted to get her alone. She entered the room and shut the door behind her.
"Lock it" I said and she raised her eyebrows and smirked at me.
I had brought her to the Alpha's office, my fathers office, and I was sitting at his desk waiting for her. She walked slowly across the room, her eyes locked on mine, running her fingers along the length of the desk and bitting her bottom lip. It took everything in me not to run to her. My erection was pressing uncomfortably against my trousers. In one swift motion, I stood up and pushed her onto the desk, climbing on top of her. She kissed me hungrily and writhed underneath me. I took her right there on the desk, both of us craving each others touch. I had to cover her mouth to quieten her moans, I didn't want the whole pack house to hear us. The pleasure I felt was immense and I wanted more, she was like a drug that I craved. After that first time, I wanted to lie with her in my arms, tracing circles so the my fingers over her naked skin. But she wasn't interested, as soon as we were finished she got up and started getting dressed.
"Stay with me" I pleaded with her, trying to pull her back towards me.
"I have been gone too long already, people will suspect things" she replied, blowing me a kiss as she left the room.
After this, I took every opportunity to get her alone, pinning her against the walls in corridors or dragging her into the bathroom to have my way with her. I was obsessed, my body craving hers, images of her constantly running through my mind. She remained aloof, she seemed keen during the moment, gripping me fiercely as we pressed against each other, but as soon as we had both climaxed, she was keen to leave. We rarely spoke, everything between us was purely physical. I craved more from her, but she wouldn't give it me. The news of my father and brothers death should have slowed me down, but if anything it made me worse. I wanted sex to drown out my pain, I wanted to feel pleasure to take my mind off the awful things that were happening. I got Silver alone as often as I could, I needed her touch to distract me. I wanted to lose myself in Silver.
When my mother told me I would be marrying Anya, I felt sick. I didn't want her, I wanted Silver. I had no choice but to go through with the wedding, Anya was beautiful and looked nervous as she walked down the aisle towards me. She was petite, with auburn hair and matching eyes. She looked at me anxiously as we said our vows, desperately looking for some sort of emotion in my face, but I remained impassive. I gave her a slight peck on her lips as they told me to kiss the bride and then turned away. This wasn't what I wanted.
I'm ashamed to say that for the first few weeks following our wedding, I was a terrible husband. I wasn't interested in Anya, I had slept with her on our wedding night as it was expected of me to consummate the marriage, but I hadn't been loving at all. I I didn't care whether Anya enjoyed herself, I was after my own pleasure and as soon as I reached my climax, I had rolled off of her and gone to sleep. I barely spoke to Anya and stayed as far away from her as I could. I continued to sleep with Silver too. I had worried that she would be upset with me for getting married, but she didn't seem to care. Our relationship had always been purely sexual and she seemed happy for it to continue this way. Back then, I truly believed I was in love with Silver, but love and lust are two entirely different things.

It wasn't until Anya's brothers came to stay, that things came to a head. Naturally, Anya was as miserable as I was in our unhappy marriage and had invited her twin brothers, Maximus and Ezra, to stay at the pack house for some company.  I was polite to them, but mostly stayed out of their way, just like I did with Anya. One night, I had snuck into my office at around 2am to meet Silver, assuming that everyone in the pack house would be asleep. I sat on my swivel chair with Silver straddling me, our bodies writhing against each other. As I tilted my head back in ecstasy, the door floor open with a bang. To my horror, in walked Anya's brothers, Maximus and Ezra.
"Get out" snarled Maximus, looking at Silver with pure loathing on his face. Silver hurriedly climbed off me, grabbing her discarded clothes off the floor and scurrying out of the room. I grabbed my clothes too, frantically trying to put them back on to cover myself up.
Ezra marched over to me and grabbed me by the scruff of my t shirt, pulling me into a standing position.
"You disgust me" he spat, his face inches from my own.
I stared at him, my pulse pounding in my ears, I had nothing to say to him, no excuse for my behaviour.
"Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you right now" he snapped, his eyes turning black as his wolf pushed to the surface. I desperately tried to think of something to say, but my mind had gone blank and my wolf was staying quiet too.
"We cant kill him" said Maximus, walking over to Ezra and placing his hand on his shoulder. Ezra closed his eyes and sighed, he shoved me back into my chair and began pacing up and down the room.
"You don't deserve Anya. We should never have brought her here" said Maximus, glowering at me.
For a brief moment, I wondered if my marriage to Anya might be over and that I could then be with Silver. I felt a glimmer of hope in the pit of my stomach, maybe there could be a good outcome from this after all.
"Do you really think we re going to Ally ourselves with the blood moon pack after this?" Snarled Ezra.
My heart lurched painfully in my chest, the glimmer of hope dissipating as quickly as it had arrived. Shit. I hadn't even thought of that. I had been so focused on Silver, that id forgot the reason why I'd been made to marry Anya in the first place. The pack needed strong allies to keep us safe from the vampires. I had only been Alpha for a month and it appeared that I not only had messed up the ally deal, but had now made enemies with one of the largest packs.
"If Anya wasn't pregnant, we would be taking her straight back to the full moon pack" snapped Maximus. Ezra slammed his hands down on the table and let out a loud growl. I felt suddenly sick. Pregnant?
"What?" I stammered, feeling the colour drain from my face, I felt like I was going to pass out.
"She's pregnant and you have been sleeping with other people!" Roared Ezra, marching back over to me and grabbing me again by the shirt. He hurled me up and threw me against the wall. I landed on the ground with a thud. I deserved this.
"That girl needs to leave" said Maximus
"Yes" I replied, still lying on the floor, I felt like if I sat up I would vomit. How could I have gotten her pregnant? I'd only slept with her once!
Ezra walked over and picked me up off the floor, bringing his face close to mine, I held my breath, unsure what he was going to do next.
"My pack is not allied to yours" he snarled.
"But we had an agreement" I stammered, bracing myself in case he threw me at the wall again. I needed to keep the agreement with the full moon pack, otherwise my marriage to Anya had been for nothing.
"No we didn't. We have split the full moon pack in half. I am now the Alpha of the Half moon pack and I have no agreement with you"
I glanced up at Maximus, who nodded in agreement.
"The agreement was with the Full moon pack and that still stands, but the half moon pack made no such agreement" sighed Maximus as he sat down in my chair.
I had wondered how the twins were going to run the Full moon pack. As twins, they had equal claim as Alpha. I suppose it makes sense that they split the pack in half and both be Alpha of their halves instead of trying to rule together. I felt slightly relieved that the full moon pack were still our allies, but now that they had split into two, they were a much smaller pack. If I hadn't slept with silver, I'm sure that the half moon pack would be our allies too. I sighed, I'd really messed up.
"If I find out you are treating my sister badly again, I will kill you" snarled Ezra, his eyes turning black again. I nodded and he threw me back onto the floor. I believed him.
"I won't stop him next time" snapped Maximus, as they stomp out of the room and slam the door behind them. I lay on the floor for a long time contemplating my life. I was going to be a dad. I needed to step up for the sake of my baby.

I dreaded going for breakfast the next morning, but the twins ignored me and acted like nothing had happened. Silver was no where to be found. I sat down next to Anya and smiled at her nervously.
"Good morning" I said. She glanced up at me, looking surprised.
"Hi" she replied, smiling at me sweetly and placing her hand on my thigh under the table. She didnt know, they hadnt told her. I looked into her eyes and saw her looking at me hopefully. This was probably the most attention I'd paid her in the last few weeks. I'd been such an idiot.