Chapter 3 - Making Friends

Chapter 3

Anastasia POV

I groan as my alarm clock goes off, not because I don't want to get up, I've been laid in bed awake for a while, but because it means I've got to go to my business study lectures. I have a full day of 9-5 lectures today, all of which will be immensely boring.
I turn off my alarm and get up out of bed. My feet are cold against the hardwood floor and I make a mental note to find my slippers out of the wardrobe later. I flick on the coffee maker and pour some cereal into a bowl. My parents had wanted me to have my own chef at university too, just like at home, but I'd told them no as I wanted to be as independent as I could. Sometimes when my smoke alarm was going off, because I was burning my tea yet again, I regretted this decision. I flicked the radio on as I ate and then jumped into the shower. I had laid out an outfit the night before and got my bag ready, since I had nothing better to do. Some
people on my course had text me yesterday evening asking me to join them for drinks, but as usual, I wasn't allowed, so I had stayed in my apartment watching TV instead. It didn't really matter anyway, as they arent really my friends, they just try to stay close to me because of who my parent are.
Just as I finish getting ready, there is a knock at the door. I'm pleasantly surprised to see Lara, one of my bodyguards waiting for me. I have 4 bodyguards in total, who take turns keeping an eye on me. Lyle and Lara are twins and the gammas children, they are my favourites because they are a little bit more relaxed with the rules and let me have a bit more fun. The Betas two children also act as my body guards. There is Garrett, the betas eldest son, who barely speaks to me and who acts as if looking after me is the worst job in the world. Finally, there is Garrett's brother Grayson, who is extremely strict and never lets me get away with anything. Normally in a pack, the Gamma's job is to protect the Luna at all costs. As I'm not the Luna yet, my dad thought it best that the Gamma's children take watch over me, as this will most likely be their job when I become Luna anyway. I'm not sure if I get on better with Lara and Lyle because they feel it is their duty to look after me, or because we are genuinely forming a friendship. But I much prefer them to the Beta's children, who definitely don't have a friendship with me. They see this as their job until they can find something better to do. I guess they aren't wrong, but would it kill them to be slightly friendly to me?
I fill up a reusable coffee cup for myself and Lara, grab my bag and head out of the door.
"Are you reading for an exciting day of lectures Ana?" Asks Lara, raising her eyebrows and smirking at me.
"You know it" I reply sarcastically.
It's cold out today and the wind makes my cheeks hurt, thankfully it's only a few minutes walk to university from my flat. My parents didn't want me to have a long commute because of worries for my safety. Whilst I normally think they are being over dramatic with the whole safety thing, I'm grateful for the short walk to uni in the cold weather this morning.
As I enter the lecture theatre, a few people look up and wave. I always get to lectures deliberately early so that I can get a good seat and not have to awkwardly find someone to sit with. Most people are nice to me on my course, in fact some are overly nice, but I can't say that I have many friends. The problem with being the alphas daughter, is that people are often fake with me because they know who I am. I learnt the hard way growing up that people will pretend to like me and be my friend just to gain favour with my dad. I thought this might subside as I got older, but if anything, it has got worse. The older I get, the closer I am to becoming the packs Luna and so now people pretend to be nice to me, to gain my favour. They see me and just see power and money.
I'm glad to have Lara sat next to me,as the bodyguards usually sit at the back of the room, but today I'm pleased to have a friendly presence nearby.
People gradually file into the room, a gaggle of girls flock around me, asking how my summer was and giggling. They are all impeccably dressed, with bleach blonde hair, fake eyelashes and fake nails. I struggle to tell them apart because even though they aren't related, they all look extremely similar. It clearly works for them though, as I sense the men in the room undressing them with their eyes. I glance at my own ginger hair, hanging in loose waves.
One of the girls notices this, Brianna I think she's called.
"Oh my god babe, your hair looks so good! Did you get it done?"
The other girls immediately start cooing and nodding enthusiastically about how good my hair looks. They are lying. I haven't had it done and if anything I'm due  for a haircut. I hate fake people.
I smile sweetly, fighting the urge to roll my eyes at them. They settle themselves in seats around me with Lara, complimenting my outfit and boasting loudly about their summer holidays.
The lecturer walks in and shushes us, eyeing me directly even though I'm not even speaking. He sets up his PowerPoint presentation and is just about to start the lesson, when the door bangs open. A girl with shoulder length black hair cut into a bob strolls in, she raises her hand in a wave at the lecturer and walks over to a seat on the far side of the hall. She catches my eye as she walks past and raises her eyebrows.
"Nice of you to join us" snaps the teacher.
"Thank you" says the girl, stretching her legs and balancing her feet on the back of the chairs in front. I can't help but smile at her relaxed attitude. I haven't seen her before, she must be new this year.
I try my hardest to listen to what the lecturer is saying, but it's just so boring and I find myself doodling in my notebook instead of taking notes. I clearly haven't sat far enough away from the front as he notices this and fires a question in my direction. I feel my cheeks flame as I stammer and admit that I don't know. He looks at me smugly
"If you want to pass second year, I'd spend less time drawing and more time listening"
I look down at my drawings feeling ashamed. I hate this course, but my parents would go mad if I fail it.
As we break for coffee, the swarm of blonde girls around me start talking animatedly about a party one of them is throwing
"Oh you must come Anastasia" says one
"It won't be the same without you" says another pouting at me. These are the same girls who haven't spoken to me or invited me to anything over the entire summer.
As I open my mouth to make an excuse,
I hear a snigger to my right and look across to see the new girl openly laughing at them.
"You aren't invited" they sneer at her, she laughs louder
"Oh no I'm devastated" she replies sarcastically, picking up her bag and sauntering out of the room.
I nudge Lara and we quickly make our excuses to grab a drink from the nearby coffee shop. I'm concerned that the blondes will all follow me, but for once they stay seated and I breathe a sigh of relief.
"Please tell them I can't go to the party because of a security reason" I say to Lara as we join the queue.
"I don't need to say it, you know you can't go to the party because of security" she laughs.
"You could still say it to get me out of it!" I grin.
"I'm not sure that's in my job description" she says, sticking her tongue out at me.
The person in front spins around laughing, it's the new girl from class.
"Do they really lock you away and stop you going to parties?" She says raising her eyebrows.
I hesitate, not knowing how truthful to be.
"You should just sneak out like I do" she says winking at me.
"She d have to get past me first" says Lara smiling.
"That feels an awful lot like a challenge" she laughs "let me know if you want to try sneaking out together"
I smile, her offer sounds tempting, although I'm not convinced that we will be able to get past my bodyguards.
"I'm Nicole" she says.
"Anastasia" I reply.
"Anastasia, can I ask you a question?" She says, narrowing her eyes at me. I'm certain she's recognised my name or my face and is going to ask who my parents are. Great, another person who is only interested in my heritage.
"How do you put up with those awful girls?"
I burst out laughing. I really wasn't expecting her to say that.
"They aren't my friends, they just pretend to be" I reply, giving the barista mine and Lara's coffee order.
"I'm so glad that you don't think they are your besties. Those bitches are super fake". We walk back into the lecture hall together and take a seat side by side. A dozen blonde heads spin in our direction and then they gradually migrate over towards us. They don't like Nicole, but they clearly still want attention from me. I sigh, I wish they would just leave me alone. Their gossiping is exhausting.
They continue talking about their party, they've attracted more of the class now, who all seem eager for an invite. They are all revelling in the attention.
"Ana, you've just got to come!" Drawls one that I think is called Britney "it's going to be the biggest party of the year"
"It's literally the first week of the school year" says Nicole under her breath. I hide my smirk by taking a sip of my coffee. I know the blondes have heard her as they stiffen, but continue speaking as if they haven't. Hunter, one of the many leery guys in the room interrupts the conversation.
"It would be amazing to see you there" he says, leaning over, licking his lips and looking me up and down with his eyes. I feel my cheeks burn and avert his gaze. I have minimal experience with boys and so don't know quite how to act.
He leans his head towards my ear and drops his voice an octave
"I could show you a good time"
I am internally cringing and don't know where to look, I inch away from him and pick up my coffee again to try and hide my red face, although I'm certain that the blush is creeping up my neck too. It suddenly feels very hot in the room. Nicole leans into my other ear and whispers
"He won't show you a good time, he has a tiny dick"
I choke on my coffee and start coughing loudly. The blondes titter around me to check I'm okay. If I wasn't red before, I definitely am now, my face is beetroot red. I catch Nicole's eye and see she is trying not to laugh at my reaction. I don't know where this girl came from, but she is fast becoming someone I genuinely want to be friends with.