↳ 01: An Innocent Robbery... Whoops, She's Dead

Magsimula sa umpisa

They swept through bushes of winter pansies in various colors and Everette plucked a few, for he had always been a kindhearted soul with an eye for the small things which deserved more appreciation in life. He hummed absentmindedly, sticking one behind his ear and a few into his pockets while the queen muttered to herself about how they would probably be late because her husband was always dreadfully slow to get ready. Today was not just any day in the palace, but in fact the day they would set off to travel for the christening of the Fairy Kingdom's firstborn son.

"I'm afraid the morning tea took far too long—"

"There's no reason to worry, Mother."

"Oh, I do hope my travel clothes are ready by the time I reach the dressing quarters—"

"You needn't stress yourself so often, Mother."

Snow White glanced sidelong through her lashes at her son, who had stopped to lift a struggling little bird whose wing was entangled in an overgrown vine. She sighed and kept walking, wondering how she had ever lived without him, and made a mental note to notify the gardeners to work a bit harder.

In the field just beyond the stables a man dressed in chain mail and burgundy leather was instructing young squires in the art of fencing. Wiry young boys still in their awkward phase were shifting uncomfortably in line, peeking over the shoulders of others to get a better look at the two trainees going at each other. Each boy anxiously ticked down the minutes in his head until it would be his turn.

Everette was always fascinated with this process; training with other sweaty, smelly teenagers from dusk till dawn. Many of them would grow up to fight as knights—for him, for the throne he would inherit if his mother could not produce another heir. That was a private matter, but he had heard whispers that the magic had interfered with her ability to conceive. He knew better than to bring up the subject.

He, too, was schooled in the art of warfare, but privately with a tutor and for far fewer hours of the day. Instead, a considerable amount of his time was spent reading world maps and being lectured on the political climate. The difference was clear. He was upper management, and they were the more expendable worker bees. Still, he thought he might have envied them more than he pitied them. There was little adventure waiting for a prince within the castle walls.

The knight instructing them noticed the queen before she had disappeared through the flower arches heading towards the castle, and visibly perked up, waving a hand to stop the two boys fighting. "Your Majesty!"

She turned, albeit somewhat reluctantly. Her hair, soft as silk and black as ebony, draped around her like a magnificent veil beneath a spiked gold crown. Fur lined her neckline, sleeves, and the glittering cloak that trailed behind her.

"Yes?"

"I am terribly sorry, my queen, for I'm sure you are quite busy, but if I could have a word with the prince for a moment...?" Everette paused his examination of a small, determined dandelion poking out of the snow-covered ground and straightened. "Some of the squires have been asking about having Prince Everette join a training day with us, so he could demonstrate his skills, and I was hoping that it may be arranged."

The queen smoothed back her hair and adjusted her crown, which dripped with glittering rubies. This was not just any knight, upon closer examination, but one of the highest-ranking in the castle. Felix Lange was his name. He had saved her life many years ago, when he was just a huntsman hired to kill a blameless girl. She took a step forward and nodded to her son.

"Of course, Sir Lange," Snow White replied as respectfully as she could when her internal clock was screaming that it was silly to be wasting time talking when she should be preparing to leave. "My son will surely be so gracious as to oblige."