Co-Captain

After we leave the hospital, we make our way to the school. Derek went with Peter... Why? I have no idea. We run into the locker room and find Scott sitting on one of the benches.

"Dude. We have a huge problem."

"Trust me...I know."

*****

The next day, we're in the jeep. Scott somehow knows where Jackson is and that he's in some kind of trouble. Stiles turns into an empty parking lot and we see Jackson with Mr. Argent. Stiles pulls up beside them.

"Everything okay?" Scott asks.

"Hey, Scott." Mr. Argent greets. "Your friend here was having car trouble. We're just taking a look."

"Wow." Stiles comments.

"There's a shop right down the street." Scott nods past us. "I'm sure they have a tow truck."

"Yeah. You want a ride?" Stiles asks and Scott opens his door. "Hey, come on, Jackson. You're way too pretty to be out here all by yourself." I stop myself from laughing. Jackson nods and starts walking to the jeep.

"Hey, boys." Mr. Argent opens up the driver's door and cranks up Jackson's car. "Told you I knew a few things about cars." With that, he goes to his car and leaves.

"What? Are you following me now?" Jackson accuses.

"Yes, you stupid freaking idiot." Scott confirms, slamming the door shut. Stiles and I get out as well. "You almost gave away everything right there!"

"What are you talking about?"

"He thinks you're the second beta."

"What?"

"He thinks you're me!" Scott gets angry and elbows the jeep.

"Dude, my jeep."

"I can hear your heart beating from a mile away-literally! Now he thinks that there's something wrong, and now I have to keep an eye on you so he doesn't kill you too!" He goes to hit the jeep again, but Stiles stops him.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, okay, okay, okay. How about we just step away from Stiles' jeep?"

"You know what, this is your problem, not mine, okay? I didn't say anything, which means you're the one that's gonna get me killed...okay? This is your fault." Jackson shoves Scott against the jeep.

"Can we stop hitting my jeep?" Scott shoves Jackson back.

I get between the two boys, putting a hand on their chests. "Yo, all right, yo, guys, stop. All right?" After they both step back a little bit, I back up to stand beside Stiles.

"When they come after you...I won't be able to protect you. I can't protect anyone." Scott says the last sentence while looking at Stiles and me.

"Why are you looking at us?"

"You know what? Now you have to do it. Get me what I want, and I will be fine protecting myself."

"No, you won't! Just trust me--All it does is make things worse."

"Oh, yeah, really? You know, you can hear anything you want and run faster than humanly possible. Sounds like a real hardship, McCall."

"Yeah, I can run really fast now...except half the time, I'm running away from people trying to kill me! And I can hear things like...my girlfriend telling people that she doesn't trust me any more right before breaking up with me. I'm not lying to you! It...ruins your life."

Jackson shakes his head. "It ruined your life. You had all the power in the world, and you didn't know what to do with it. You know what it's actually like? It's like you turned 16 and someone bought you a Porsche when they should have started you out with a nice little Honda. Me? I drive a Porsche." Jackson walks back to his car and drives off.