Heart Monitor

I'm leaning against the wall in the hallway, waiting on Stiles. We're both furious with Scott. If he hadn't ignored both of our phone calls all day, Dad wouldn't have gotten hurt. But Stiles will forgive him easily. I'll stay mad at him for a little bit longer.

I see Stiles walk out of his class with Scott. "Wh-He wants you to tap into your animal side and get angry?" I push off the wall and join them.

"Yeah."

"All right, well, correct me if I'm wrong, but every time you do that, you try to kill someone, and that someone's usually me. Or Cameron."

"I know. That's what he means when he says he doesn't know if he can teach me. I have to be able to control it." I scoff.

"Well, how's he gonna teach you to do that?" Stiles asks.

"I don't know. I don't think he does either."

"Okay. When are you seeing him again?"

"Just told me not to talk to about it. Just act normal and get through the day."

I stop both of them, mostly Scott and they look at me. "When?"

"He's picking me up at the animal clinic after work."

"After work. All right, well, that gives me to the end of the school day then."

"To do what?" Stiles asks instead of Scott.

"To teach you myself." With that, I continue down the hall, with both of them just staring at me. "Meet me at the field during free period!"

*****

I'm sitting on one of the benches as they both walk up.

"Did you tell him?" I ask Stiles. He nods and I go through my duffel bag, handing something to Scott. "Now...put this on."

"Isn't this one of the heart rate monitors for the track team?"

I shrug. "Yeah, I borrowed it."

"Stole it."

Stiles smiles and playfully hits my shoulder. "That's my bro."

I roll my eyes. "Temporarily misappropriated. Coach uses it to monitor his heart rate with his phone when he jogs, and you're gonna wear it for the rest of the day."

Scott motions to a phone I have in my hand. "Isn't that Coach's phone?"

"That I stole."

"Why?"

"All right, well, your heart rate goes up when you go wolf, right?" Scott nods. "When you're playing Lacrosse, when you're with Allison, whenever you get angry. Maybe learning to control it is tied to learning to control your heart rate."

"Like the Incredible Hulk."

"Kind of like the Incredible Hulk, yeah."

"No, I'm like the Incredible Hulk."

Stiles rolls his eyes. "Would you shut up and put the strap on?"

"Thank you, Stiles." Scott puts on the strap and I walk him to the middle of the field. "Hands behind your back."

He looks at me weirdly. "Why?"

"Just do it." He does what I say and I duck-tape his hands together.

"This isn't exactly how I wanted to spend my free period."

"Alright." I pat his shoulders, ignoring him, and walk back to Stiles, who has a lacrosse stick in his hand. I grab an extra one that's on the ground. "You ready?"