ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 5: 𝔑𝔬 𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 𝔄𝔩𝔬𝔫𝔢

Start from the beginning

"Who are you? I have never seen you here before." Naerys studied the woman's face. She had a small scar under her right eye but otherwise her face was flawless of any blemish or battle wound. She was different from the other handmaidens here. Naerys would no doubt know who she was.

"Frynne, your grace." The woman spoke softly as she cleaned Naerys cheeks. Naerys sniffles and wiped her face free from any leftover tears.

Frynne tilted her head up to press the warm rag underneath Naery's eyes to rid them of dark circles

"I hail from Dorne. It was either becoming a maid for you and your brother or becoming a whore. I think doting on a nice young girl is much better than giving myself over to some man."

"What a pretty name." Naerys spoke without really thinking. The girl smiled and took Naerys hands in her own. She carefully scrubbed the dirt out from under her nails and on her palms. "I was once set to be sent to Dorne. Maybe we would've crossed paths in a whore house."

Frynne laughed, dipping the rag back in the water before looking back up at Naerys. "I have heard from the others you do not talk much. I think we should change that. Your brother-"

"I have no brother now." Naerys stifled her cries and Frynne gave an understanding nod. She looked to Naerys and the silver haired girl gave her permission. She lifted the edge of her gown and began to clean her bruised inner thighs.

"Princess, did he-"

"I wanted it. My brother is an asshole, but he is no monster." Frynne knew by the stern look on Naerys face that she was telling her the truth. She cleaned blood and mixed fluid from the Princess, giving a small apology every time the towel was a bit too harsh. "Is Dorne nice?" It was an awkward conversation but this whole scenario was awkward and uncomfortable. Frynne smiled and finished cleaning the Princess, moving to pull the ruined gown over her head.

"It is beautiful. Ny Sar is filled with large turtles. I do miss them, even thought they were a rare sight to see." Frynne pulled a clean gown over the Princess, patting her leg once she was finished. "Now, was that so bad?"

"Dreadful." Naerys tried to keep a straight face but she ended her sentence with a small smile and laugh. Frynne rolled her eyes and helped the young girl stand on her own two feet. Her walk was shaky but Naerys noticed her sturdy Frynne was. She did not waver even under the weight of Naerys body. She was a good head taller than Naerys herself. She was lean but Naerys was able to feel her solid frame when she stumbled a bit too far into the handmaiden.

Frynne sat the girl in the chair closest to her window. The warm sun felt nice on her tear streaked face. The woman stripped the dirty sheet off of the bed and wrapped it up. She moved to the cauldron where Naerys had hatched her dragon. Naerys searched the room for the oversized lizard, giggling when she felt a nibble under the table. She pulled back her gown to see Ligthries had wriggled out under her bed during the commotion.

He had snuck in through the window late last night. He had tried to force his way between Daemon and Naerys but Daemon promptly picked him up and sat him in the floor. Naerys picked the squirming dragon up and sat him in her lap. He immediately cuddled into her chest. He gave little happy chirps and Naerys felt happy for the first time that morning.

Frynne took a prod lit by fire and sat the bloody sheet ablaze right there in the bedroom along with Naerys torn nightgown. "Why are you burning the sheet?"

"What sheet?" Frynne picked at the sheet until it was nothing but leftover ashes. She looked to Naerys and winked. Naerys smiled and Fyrnne eyes were immediately drawn to Ligthries. "He is amazing."

"Would you like to pet him?" Frynne nodded her head but Naerys was not certain she understood her words. Frynne kneeled down and gently reached her fingers out to Ligthries. The young dragon playfully snapped his jaws and Frynne nearly fell back to the ground in terror. "Do not let him know you fear him. Dragons can sense fear like no other beast."

Frynne reached out her hand again and softly stroked the crest of Ligthries' head. The dragon pressed his head up into her fingers and shivered his body happily. Frynne laughed in joy. She had never felt something so scale covered before. Dragons were talked about in Dorne but it had been years since anybody had seen one in person.

Naerys simply watched Frynne pet Ligthries, who did not mind the attention at all. Her eyes could not leave the woman before her. It was evident she was a year or two older than Naerys. She was wise. She was cunning. She had confidence that Naerys wished she possessed.

For the first time since moving to Dragonstone, she did not feel alone.