24 - soulmates

A smell of strong vanilla and coffee travelled into Hueningkai's nostril that made his eyes and mind open. He sat down aggressively when his hand fell in a cold abandoned mattress on his side. He stood up and ran outside the room and down the stairs only to see the sight of the blonde boy that his eyes wanted to see the moment he opened his eyes. The said boy felt the presence of the newly awake brunette boy and he looked back to see him.

"Oh god! Why do you need to wake up early?! I am not yet done! Go back to the room and wait for me there, now!" The blonde exclaimed, pouting. Kai laughed and walked towards the older, wrapping his hands around him. He smiled when he saw a homemade bento cake with a candle on the side, a coffee and his favorite bread all together on a tray.

"Is this for me?" He asked. Taehyun pulled away gently and smiled. He turned his back and picked up the bento cake in which the frosting and the letters of HBD were not yet done. Taehyun pouted as he held the cake in front of his best friend. The younger smiled and picked up the candle from the tray. He lit it up using the lighter that can be found at the cupboard.

"I am sorry, I should've woken up earlier. I couldn't have messed up the small surprise." Kai chuckled at Taehyun's remarks.

"You should've given me a heads up so I didn't have to panic when I saw you nowhere on my side when I woke up." They both laughed.

"Make a wish and blow the candle already!" Kai smiled and closed his eyes.

'I hope we'll be happy, together.'

He opened his eyes back and blew the candle in front of him.

"Happy birthday, Kai-ng! I am really sorry." Taehyun uttered as he put down the cake at the counter top and faced the younger with apologetic eyes. Kai shook his head and tidied Taehyun's hair that the older didn't even bother to comb before doing the things he did early this morning. He wrapped his hands around the small figure of the older and kissed his forehead. Taehyun snaked his arms around the younger's waist and dug his face into his chest.

"I told you it's fine. How many times do I have to tell you that spending the last hours of the day with you completed my day already? It's fine. We still have all the time in this world to hang out with each other." Kai uttered as he slowly swayed their bodies in sync. Taehyun's been more guilty of what the younger have said.

Hueningkai is his greatest blessing. He must have saved the world in his past life just to deserve someone as precious as the brunette. They've been friends since diapers and he knew that he can't live without the younger. On the other hand, despite everything that his friend did to him, he's the worst. He forgot about his birthday, made him wait alone in his house while spending and enjoying his day with his rival.

In Hueningkai's thought, he is so lucky to have Taehyun on his side. He is his precious diamond, that if anyone would try to steal, he'll fight through blood, sweat and tears. So much isn't it? But it was his love of his life that we are talking about.

Love.

Who would have thought that Kai is in love with his best friend, maybe Soobin? Yes. Taehyun? Definitely, will never.

Loving him is a great feeling but telling him would be his greatest downfall. When does his love grow? Yesterday, when he was waiting for the older to come home? Last week, when he was with him all throughout the days he was recovering due to exhaustion and pain? Last month, when they had a videoke session at his house? Maybe Last Year, when they celebrated Christmas together. Or maybe, right before the first time he made eye contact with the older's doe eyes when they first met. That was years and years ago. No one would ever know when, how, and why he fell for him. But he does surely know that he'll do everything for him, even if the world would be against them. That is how much he loves his friend, to the extent where he would never get angry at the older.