Part 11

Little warning here, I had been going off the episodes of Death Note to keep a relative timeline. At this point onward, things will be going a little off-script.

-------------

         It was nearing the end of winter already, and the kids were running out of time. 

         Sayu had been an absolute angel by going around her school, store, police station, nearly every person she encountered, and spreading stories about them. Just simple things like pool parties when they were eight, events that would date back to when they were younger to establish their existence.

         A little ironic, being  thankful for rumors. But the effort could very well save their lives some day. Or, at the very least, give them some credibility. 

       "Taiyo, let's go." They were on their way to a hotel, meaning it was dangerous to use their real names. It was time. After many, many, 'conversations', the three had decided not to fake any ID's. Not only would it be extra suspicious when L figured out, because of course he would, but there's no way they could get anything in just a week. 

     "Hold on, I need to fix my scarf." Despite Emma's familiar peppy attitude, it wasn't difficult to see the dark circles under her eyes, stress lines making themselves known. They'd gone through countless nights comparing notes, re-applying skin dye, and mostly just worrying over their family. 

       Of course, it had to be raining, forcing the trio to be extra careful as to not reveal the literal 'barcodes' against their necks. Sure, they had concealed them through various types of makeup, which were already applied both over and under skin patches. Still, no amount of preparation could quell the swirling anxiety that loomed over the three like a parasite. Or Light's Shinigami, because yeah, that's a thing

   "There it is, so it's too late to get cold feet. No matter how cold it is outside." Norman laughs weakly at the look Ray gives him. It was obvious he was trying to brighten the mood. Trying to ignore how yes, they have not slept in a long time, and no, they aren't any closer to answers then their last study session. 

    "Just because I have poor blood circulation doesn't mean I'm a wuss!" Sadly there was no snow left, otherwise Ray would have happily chucked a snowball in his face, and, if feeling especially devious, down the back of his shirt. 

     All too soon, the doors to the hotel opened before them. This was really it, huh? The long awaited meeting with L, the worlds greatest detective. So why?  Why did it feel so... wrong? It felt as if fate itself weighed down on their shoulders, teasing, laughing, as if nothing they've done has made a difference. As if hope never existed in the first place. 

     The trio was silent the whole way up, only the sound of cheesy elevator music was there to disrupt the gloomy atmosphere. The only thing to pull away from the realization that this was all just some fucked up game to entertain some stupid, bored Shinigami. Specifically, the one following Light. 

    Floor 4, room 211, 5:35pm. 

    Knocking on the door seemed to be trivial, as it opened nearly immediately after the first one. Expectantly, a tall, older man ushered them inside with a kindness that seemed out of place in the cold dark room, blue light illuminating the surrounding area from too bright screens. Terrible for the eyes. 

    Barely discernible from the darkness lied a figure, sitting in a swivel chair, back turned to them. The outline of his body glowed a pale blue, showing off the most atrocious posture any of them have ever seen. 

     He doesn't turn around.

     doesn't turn around.

    The kind senior, (just how old was he?), cleared his throat to break the silence. It does not, however, dispel the ever thickening atmosphere. 

    "Right then, we're so glad you could make it. I hope it wasn't to much trouble to find your way, it's important that we take great caution when finding a place of residence." As someone with aged wisdom, he spoke in a way that exuded confidence, power, and knowledge. If the kids hadn't known better, it would make perfect sense for them to conclude Watari as L.  

    "Would you care for a cup of tea?" Emma was quick to raise her hand, calling out a childish "Me please!" as she stretched her arm as high as possible. Ray and Norman weren't far behind, though their requests were a bit more controlled. 

    Once again, all conversations and unnecessary sounds had ended, only leaving the gentle flow of water to calm their nerves. It wasn't until the Hunchback of Notre Dame twirled around to face them, that the real business could begin.

   "I am L." The gaggle of limbs, all pasty from a lack of sun and, most likely, nutrients, spoke aloud in a way that could easily be compared to a robot. Monotone and bored. But his eyes held something else. Behind all the exhaustion, there was a spark of interest, like a kid discovering a hidden side quest in his video game. 

    That... that felt a little disturbing. Because this? This was not a game. There are no winners, only victims and grieving families. 

   Just as the detective is about to speak again, the door clicks open. Ray, paranoid, is the first to look over, eyes immediately turning as big as saucers. This it couldn't be...

   Making sure that this wasn't some maladaptive daydream or hallucination, sleep deprivation is wack like that,  he looks back and for to Emma and Norman. They had similar reactions, though Emma was already hiccuping, thick tears rolling down her face, while he and Norman had gotten more or less misty eyed. (He wouldn't dare admit that a few tears of his own escaped).

    "Phil?"

_____________________________________________________________________________

Hi....

Not dead.....

Yet.

(just made some grammar edits, working on next chap now.)

ENJOY!