Chapter Seventy: Nightmare Awakening

Comincia dall'inizio

Jay struggled to maintain a calm exterior. Antonio had already paid the ultimate price for Kings' obsession with him. Was Will going to be next? Even as he contemplated that terrifying possibility the questions grew. Why was his sibling at Voights' residence? it didn't make any sense. Had King brought him here as part of a lethal plan? Pulling his thoughts from such distracting musings he eyed King evenly and did something that went against every fibre of his being. He lowered his weapon without being asked and willingly left himself be an open target. No fear accompanied the move only a fledgling feeling of hope his brother would escape as King focused his attention on the defenseless Detective.

Temporary Unit Offices

After Al persuaded his fellow ex-Ranger to go back to the Sergeants' residence the moustached man sought out his old friend. Sitting across the expansive oak desk the Detective eyed their posh surroundings sardonically.

"So all we got to do is get blown up to get a fancy place to work ....,"
"Bet you're sorry you didn't think of it earlier," Voight observed with a chuckle, none of the men were high maintenance and Al least of all.
"Guess I'm getting old."
"Getting?"
"Now you're sounding like the Kid?" Al feigned exasperation.
"So how is he really?" the Sergeant became serious, his concern for their youngest Detective was no secret.
"Not good," Al lost his mirth as he considered the younger man, "he agreed to get some rest but ...,"
".... we all know what he really needs," Voight finished with a heavy sigh.
"King out of the picture," Al noted, "and a chance to deal with everything else."
"He having issues over his old man?"
"You know he is," Al threw his friend a dirty look, "not that he's going to admit it."
"So we deal with King first and then track down whoever sent the note and nail their hide to the wall."
"Sounds good to me," Al shrugged, "if only it was going to be that easy."
"I've been thinking about King," Voight leant back in the luxurious black leather swivel chair, he had already decided he wanted one for his new office as he eyed the other man, and folded his arms across his chest, "anything else I need to be concerned about?"
"Nope," the former Sniper still held his own counsel about Jays' military related issues, "I told you before if you need to know something I'll tell you."
"Good thing I trust you then," Voight commented light heartedly but they both knew there was a solemn shared goal both strived for, keeping Jay safe from any and all threats or issues.

Kitchen

Mouse had been relieved when Jay had finally left to get some much needed rest. Hell they were all exhausted by the ongoing investigation but Jay had the added pressure of their target focusing on him. The IT Specialist shivered just thinking about it! He had learned to admire Jay during their shared Afghanistan experiences but in watching him cope with his old man and now King he had developed an even greater admiration for his former Lieutenant. If he was being honest he knew he couldn't have coped with half the stuff his friend did.

"What's got you so worried looking?" a voice from the doorway startled him and he spilt the milk he had been adding to his coffee.
"Hell! Warn a guy why don't you?!" Mouse glared at the newly arrived HS Assistant Director.
"You always this jumpy?" Murphy took no offence at the disgruntled greeting or lack of suitable respect for his authority as he advanced into the spacious kitchen and headed eagerly for the double refrigerator, since when did offices have double refrigerators he wondered?
"No ...... Sir," the last word was added begrudgingly in the knowledge he should have shown the older man due deference, he couldn't even handle office politics let alone all the problems Jay faced!
"I don't blame you for worrying over Halstead," the stocky man opined as he reached his objective and pulled open the slick black doors only to frown, it was empty!
"What makes you think .....,"
"It's clear everyone's worried over him," Murphy shrugged as he closed the doors with a regretful sigh, looks like he was stuck with the salad he had picked up on the way to Bucktown.
"Adam won't be long filling that up with
rubbish," the slender man offered helpfully, glad with his quick metabolism he could eat whatever he wanted without it showing on his frame and debating giving his companion the Snickers bar stuffed in his pocket.
"One can only hope," Murphy commented with exaggerated gravity before heading over to the kettle, coffee wouid have to do, "you ready for Med?"
"As much as I can be. King is usually two steps ahead of us so I'm not sure he's going to fall for this."
"Can't disagree with that."
"But?"
"Does there have to be a 'but'?" Murphy asked with a frown as he stirred his suitably sweetened drink.
"Figured you'd be telling me to be optimistic and do the best I can."
"Seems to me you know that already so there's no need to say it," the New Yorker pointed out candidly, "now any idea where Ruzeks' hidden his goodies?"

Voight Residence

The standoff in the kitchen remained eerily silent. No one seemed inclined to hreach the silence knowing it would escalate matters immediately. The Detective met his brothers' eyes trying to convey so much without voicing a word. The redhead looked at his sibling sadly, an expression of defeat and acceptance on his grim features. Clearly he had made his peace with the fate he believed was his. Jays' gut clenched. He was not going to accept Kings' wicked scenario! His brother was not going to die because of him, it just wasn't going to happen. That resolution affirmed Jay moved his gaze to the man who personified one of his worst nightmares. Deciding he needed to be proactive he spoke quietly, not wanting to aggravate the man.

"King this is between you and me. Let's settle this here and now."
"About damn time we agreed on something," King declared even as he pressed the barrel of his gun harder against his captives' temple, "this needs to end now."
"So leave Will go and we can ......,"
"That wouldn't make sense."
"Why not?"
"I want you to know just how alike we are."
"What do you mean?" Jay asked as dread began to seep in.
"I lost my brother," King reminded without emotion, "you will too. Then you'll have to accept we're alike."
"I know we're alike," Jay spoke firmly, needing to convince his nemesis, "you've proven your Sniper skills, you ....,"
"I need to convince you once and for all."

As with all tragedies this one unfolded in slow motion as the injured man realized he had made a fatal error in giving up his weapon. He had signed his brothers' death warrant. Moving to grab his discarded gun from where it lay on the table Jay froze as a thunderous sound echoed in the kitchen followed by a fountain of red .....

tbc