Chapter Three: Profiling

Much to Jays' consternation Voight had made it clear on their arrival in the Private Dining Room of the hotel restaurant that work was not to be diacussed that night.  He reasoned they all needed a break to recharge their batteries but Jay had sensed it was for his benefit rather than anyone elses. He had been about to argue about the matter but Al sent him a penetrating look across the table and he decided to keep his silence.  It was the following day at Headquarters accordingly that he sought out Parker.

"Doc you got a minute?"
"For you anytime," the surprised Psychologist looked up from his cluttered desk and motioned his visitor into small office, "what can I do for you?"
"You know what went down with Wells in the container," Jay stated as he closed the door behind him, "any ideas on why he did it?"
"I wish I had answers," Parker gestured to the sole chair in front of his desk, "his torture was mostly deliberate ......,"
"'Torture' is a bit strong," the Detective cut in as he sat down.
"Not really.  He inflicted severe pain on you for days.  Although you said he had cut you clinically that doesn't take away from the fact that he hurt you badly," Parker looked at the young man he had come to care about, remembering the Detectives' painful debriefing.
"So any ideas?" Jay ignored the comment.
"Unfortunately I don't.  He sterilised the wounds yet used dirty thread thereby ensuring the wounds would get infected.'
"Doesn't make sense."
"What did you think at the time?"
"What do you mean?"
"When he was actually cutting you."
"I figured he needed me alive for something or .......,"
"Or what?"
"Or ........... he intended to keep me there for ........ a long time," Jay finally replied with a shrug of his good shoulder.
"You said he wouldn't engage with you most of the time.  Why do you suppose that is?"
"Heck Doc I came to you looking for answers," the young man chided without addressing the question posed.
"You must have some theory," Parker persisted.
"Like I said in the debriefing he admitted he was angry about Petrocelli taking a liking to me.  He blames me for losing the job he had been hired to do.  Seems he saw it as a stepping stone into Petrocellis' organisation and we all know how that worked out."
"But you don't believe petty jealousy is all there is to it," Parker noted perceptively.
"Petty jealousy doesn't usually lead to bombings and shootings."
"True but you've been dealing with criminals for a long time so you know that ultimately whatever reason he uses it won't be justifiable."
"True.  He's going to be more emboldened now isn't he?" Jay finally asked the question that was plaguing him.
"Well we know he orchestrated his escape so no doubt he feels even more confident in his ability to evade capture again," Parker spoke honestly before sitting up straighter in his chair, "Jay ...... there's something you may not have considered."
"What?"
"Maybe he intends to focus on you for a long time," Parker mused gently, he sincerely hoped he was wrong.
"Why would you say that?" the younger man frowned.
"Because he left you live," the Psychologist reluctantly explained, "let's face it he had plenty of time to kill you "
"Yet he didn't," Jay agreed hoarsely, this was not a good scenario at all.
"When he became enraged and beat you up did he say anything that might give us a clue of his intentions."
"Not that I remember," Jay reminded, this had been covered in the debriefing, "one of the blows gave me the concussion."
"You sustained a substantial amount of injuries from severe bruising to broken ribs and much more," Parker looked across at the young Detective assessingly, remembering the long list of injuries set out in the Medical Report supplied by the ER Doctor, "to be honest I'm surprised you're working."
"I was cleared for duty .....,"
"Only after Murphy went to bat for you," the Psychologist had been privy to the heated discussion between the Assistant Director and the worried Sergeant.
"He knows I'm good."
"You mean he knows you're needed," the Psychologist corrected ruefully.
"So what can we expect now?" Jay purposefully brought the conversation back to why he was there, he didn't need any more concern over his welfare.
"Unfortunately Wells is likely to go bigger the next time."
"Bigger than a threat to a hospital?"
"Maybe.  Any ideas?"
"The possibilities are endless," Jay rubbed his forehead trying to will away the blossoming headache as he stood up, "thanks Doc."
"I wasn't much help I'm afraid," Parker rose and offered his hand, "my door is always open if you feel like talking."
"Appreciate that," Jay returned the handshake firmly, "but I'm good."