Chapter Sixty-Four: Aftermath

Outside Voights' office Al had seen Jays' demeanor suddenly change so even before his yell reached the open plan area the War Veteran had begun propelling the others towards the staircase.  After years of working on a job that tended to invite danger no one raised questions but instead all responded immediately.

Voights' attempt to get Jay in front of him never grained traction, literally.  As Murphy and Parker sprung for and opened the door the Sergeant found himself being unceremoniously shoved after them, his attempt to plant his feet roundly rebuffed by the determined Detective.   The New Yorkers had just reached the stairs with Voight, trailed by the limping Detective a few feet behind, when a deafening noise  precipitated a shower of debris.

Chicago Med - Two Hours Later

Kevin and Antonio looked up as the door to the Waiting Room opened and a slow moving Murphy shadowed by Parker entered.

"Voight is getting an update," the Psychologist forestalled the questions that he knew were coming as he helped his old friend ease down onto a chair opposite the Detectives.
"What's the damage?" Kevin gestured to the Assistant Director.
"Mild concussion.  Could have been a lot worse."
"You okay?"
"Not a scratch," Parker noted in some disbelief.
"We're the lucky ones,"  Kevin pointed out, sombrely "it's a miracle no one was killed."
"Will isn't happy " Antonio commented recalling the redheads' reaction to his siblings' arrival at Med.
"He was hardly going to break out in a Riverdance routine," Kevin stated wrily, the man was getting way too much experience seeing his brother injured.
"How did Voight look?" Antonio eyed the New Yorkers speculatively.
"Like a volcano about to erupt," the pale HS man succinctly answered quietly in deference to his aching head.
"God help the Doctor dealing with him!"
"Rhodes."
"Oh well at least he's familiar with Sarge," Antonio sighed as the door opened.

"How is he?" Mouse demanded upon walking in with Adam, his worry over-riding niceties.
"We're waiting for Sarge,"  Kevin looked at the ex-Ranger thoughtfully, "he'll be fine.  Take more than this to stop him."
"He's right," Adam concurred as he sat down beside Kevin.
"How can you all be so calm? He was nearly killed .... again!"
"But he wasn't," Parker decided to intervene in an attempt to avoid the argument which the IT Specialist was clearly spoiling for.
"This time.  What about next time.  He's not a cat with nine lives. One of these days he's going to die ....,"
"That can be said about everyone," Kevin noted evenly, "for now can't we just be grateful he's alive?"
"Kev has a point," Antonio looked across at Mouse and surmised knowingly, "we're all worried about him but getting upset isn't the answer and neither is arguing."
"So what exactly went on in the office?" Adam decided to engender a reasoned discussion.
"Hell if I know," Antonio reluctantly admitted with a weary sigh, "Al was watching the office and all of a sudden he made us leave ...,"
"He didn't say why?"
"It was obvious he had a reason and also obvious questions were not an option.  Jay was meant to be organising the mens' evacuation from the office but something must have changed."
"What?"
"I told you I don't know," the Italian-American reigned in his frustration, they were all on edge not just Mouse.
"I want answers ...," Mouses' declaration coincided with the door admitting Voight and Al.

".... and you'll get them," the abrupt Sergeant cut in and walked over to look out the window, his back to those gathered.
"Murphy you look like hell," Al put in with a wink, trying to give his oldest friend some time to collect his thoughts.
"That's some bedside manner you got!" the New Yorker scoffed.
"So what's the damage?"
"Mild concussion," Murphy became serious, "I'm not complaining.  We should all have been killed in that office."
"Less of the 'should'," Parker admonished mildly.
"You know what I mean."
"Yeah, yeah I do."
"Well how is he?!" Mouse couldn't contain his worry any longer, he wanted answers and he wanted them now!
"He's getting stitched up," Al replied, "most of the damage was to his back.  He didn't sustain any broken ribs, a miracle considering the size of the slab we found him under."
"Definitely a miracle," Adam concurred in relief as he recalled the terrifying aftermath of the explosion.
"What else?" the IT man prodded, he knew there was more.
"He avoided a concussion but sustained a deep laceration to the back of his head that required stitches also.  His right ankle was dislocated .....,"
"Damn," Kevin cursed softly, their friend just couldn't seem to catch a break.
"Will used more colourful words," Al pointed out ruefully, the treatment room had become a breeding ground for some highly inventive expletives as the younger Halstead was being treated, "turns out he has a temper to match that red hair of his."
"Anything else?" Kevin checked if there were more injuries on the list.
"He's going to have some mighty fine bruising on his back and legs from where the debris landed on him. That's it."
"That's more than enough," Voight joined in for the first time as he turned away from the outside world.