Chapter Nineteen: Instinct

Ten minutes after Murphy had delivered the unsettling news the group were still venting their anger at the decidedly dark turn of events.  Murphy and Parker had pulled over a couple of chairs to sit between Voight and Al.  The Sergeant raised a hand and silence descended.

"We know Wells is after Halstead.  He's trying to scare him."
"This seems more elaborate," Murphy opined as he looked over at the silent source of concern before turning to the bristling Sergeant, "the Funeral Director had your Detectives' physical description as well as his temporary address here and ....,"
"What was the cause of death given to the Undertaker?" Al cut in succinctly, this was no time to beat about the bush.
"He was told Detective Halstead died as a result of injuries sustained in the alley explosion."
"Well why the hell are we sitting here?" Adam demanded.
"He referred to the alley explosion," Jay noted thoughtfully, "there must be a reason for that."
"Shouldn't we evacuate the hotel just to be on the safe side?" Burke wondered why that hadn't been the first order of business after Murphys' news.
"The Bomb Squad is already going through the place," Murphy explained, "but I don't expect them to find anything, not when Wells referred to the alley."
"That's one hell of a chance to take," Al pointed out calmly, it would take more than a bomb threat to get his pulse racing.
"Would he expect us to evacuate the hotel?" Jay addressed the Psychologist.
"Probably, he'd assume it would be a precaution."
"What are you thinking?" Al knew the ex-Ranger well, he clearly had something on his mind.
"We should evacuate," Jay responded after an approving nod from Voight.
"But .....," Antonio began to argue when the door sprung open and a fully outfitted Bomb Technician entered followed by another one.
"All the floors have been checked and are clear," the new arrival announced in a muffled voice through his helmet as Burke rose and walked over to the pair.
"Do we evacuate anyway?" Adam looked at Voight for a response.
"Surely there's no need to now," Murphy interceded not relishing the publicity involved if they chose that option.

Burke had recognised the two Technicians despite their gear and automatically began helping them get out of their cumbersome attire.

"You find anything at all?" he checked as Nick Phelps brushed his sweaty fringe aside once his helmet and padded gloves were removed.
"Nothing and we checked thoroughly."
"Ye need to check here," a new voice instructed quietly.
"Good point," Burke agreed as he eyed Jay who had walked over, he had been about to suggest that.
"Best if ye take this elsewhere," Phelps suggested as he signalled to his companion that they should get fully suited again.
"I'll tell Voight," Burke offered and headed back over to the table as Phelps walked over to the window with his colleague in tow.

Jay remained where he was and eyed the room carefully but nothing seemed out of place.  The furniture was sparse. Apart from the large oval wooden table bedecked with a pristine white linen tablecloth in the centre of the room the only other items of furniture in the spacious Private Dining Room were the chairs around the table which were currently occupied and a couple of ornate chairs on either side of a gold trimmed white marble stand by the far wall on which a large crystal vase showcasing a multicoloured floral display stood.  Putting a hand up to his healing ribs Jay surveilled the pale cream room with its' brown and cream patterned carpet underfoot.  His eyes took in the Bomb Technicians as Phelps moved to push back one of the bulky floor length plush brown velvet curtains.  Jay would never know what guided his decision but as the hairs on the back of his neck stood up he yelled a warning and took off running towards Phelps.  The Technician only reacted when he saw a flicker of motion.  Before he could react he found his arm roughly pulled away from the curtain before he made contact with it.  Jay didn't waste time on explanations.

"Let's go.  Now!"
"What .....," Phelps began but was tugged away.
"A bomb is going to be set off any minute now," Jay insisted with a certainty which deterred any protests and noted with relief Burke was already ushering the others towards the door.
"How did Wells get access to the room?" Al queried after they had all entered the corridor followed by Phelps and his companion being pushed ahead by a determined Jay.
"We don't even know there is a bomb," Murphy argued as they walked further away from the door, "what makes you think there's one?"
"The alley," Jay replied distractedly, his eyes glued to the recently vacated room, "he's going for a small explosion which he can set off remotely."
"How would he know when to do that?" Burke wondered as he again helped the Technicians to remove their uncomfortable head gear.
"He'd have seen the Bomb Squad arrive," Voight stated, he agreed with his perceptive Detectives' assessment, just before a loud bang preceded the dining room door being blown out.