Chapter Fifty-Seven: Planning

Break Room

After the others had been briefed on the new possibility doubts and counter arguments had been aired and debated in usual robust fashion.  Eventually the concensus was arrived at that Jay was probably correct about the two possible target concerts but debate was ongoing about Kings' knowledge of the New Yorkers' presence.  Deciding a break was necessary a popular Chinese restaurant had been chosen as the meal provider and forty-five minutes later the men sat and stood around the small Break Room munching on their chosen favourites.

"It's a big leap to suggest King knows about the AD and Parker," Antonio put forward from where he leant against the kitchen counter wiping his hands of the residue remaining from his mini spring roll.
"He could have gained access to Parkers' schedule easily enough," Murphy countered reasonably as he munched on a morsel from his chicken sizzling rice soup, it had rice so he decided it was a healthy option.
"The conference Speakers were public knowledge," the Psychologist concurred as he sat beside his friend, "and in fact had been known for months in advance."
"But what about you Murphy?" Voight eyed the man across the table as he speared a piece of Peking duck before dousing it liberally with salt.
"You need that much salt?" the New Yorker asked his own question, being on his new self imposed health regime was not conducive to enjoying meals with others he was learning.
"Always liked salt," Voight shrugged unrepentantly, understanding the agrieved question and deciding for once to lighten the mood, "I have salt with everything.  Of course with my metabolism it gets burned off quickly. Basically I can eat what I like and never gain weight."
"I'm the same," Adam joined in with a wide grin.
"You wish!" Kevin scoffed in disbelief.
"You're not looking as fit as you once did," Antonio helpfully stated as he pointed to the other mans' midriff, "time was those jeans would have been loose on you."
"Hey I'm the same weight as I was when I joined PD."
"Oh, didn't realize you were always this big," Kevin commiserated with mock sincerity.
"What is this? Pick on Adam day?"
"So anyway to answer your question Voight," Murphy took pity on the Detective as he addressed the Sergeant, "I'm not sure how King could have gained access to my schedule but even if he didn't we've been in and out of this precinct since we got here so ....,"
".......we always knew it was a possibility King is keeping an eye on the 21st," Al concluded in acknowledgement.

"Is that why you're so adamant Jay?" Mouse checked as his friend aimlessly shifted food around his paper plate with his fork.
"Seems probable."
"Still don't understand why the bands who postponed in New York are playing here," Antonio voiced his confusion, which was shared by the others, "won't that lose them Fans in New York?"
"It might," Mouse had done some checking, "but with the other concerts they have scheduled Chicago was the only suitable location for the last free date they had.  Besides they're popular enough that Fans will travel from out of state to see them."
"Even from New York?" Kevin was sceptical, it seemed like a lot of hassle to go to just to see a band perform.
"Even New York," Mouse confirmed.
"Who'd pay a small fortune to see a band in another state?" Antonio argued.
"People travel to other countries to see their favourite bands," Mouse piped up, he had done a lot of research, "the more popular the band the more likely their Fans will travel far to see them."
"Must be crazy," Kevin shook his head at the notion.
"Or have more money than they need," Antonio added ruefully.
"People have all types of reasons," the IT Specialist elaborated, "from suitable dates to popular venues to the likelihood of the band or Singer playing somewhere close by in the future."
"Unless it's someone like U2 what's the point?" Murphy asked with a shrug, he could understand going to a lot of trouble to see the Irish group but not anyone else.
"U2? They're okay but the Stones are better," Kevin argued.
"Whatever about music preferences," Voight cut in wrily, "we'll concentrate the bulk of our personnel on the two concerts Mouse has flagged ...,"
"Who's playing?" Antonio realized they hadn't been informed.
"BTS and Michael Buble."
"Never heard of them," Al shrugged.
"I've heard of Buble," Murphy stated before admitting, "but not BTS. What kind of a name is that anyway?"
"It stands for a Korean name which translated means Bulletproof Boy Scouts. It can also mean Beyond the Scene."
"'Bullerproof '?" Adam repeated.
"Seems a bit obvious," Kevin looked around, "King would never make it that easy for us to figure out the target ...,"
"First time for everything," Al remarked putting down his empty Wonton Soup container.
"BTS will attract a sold out crowd," Antonio opined confidently.
"How would you know?" Adam asked sceptically.
"I have two Nieces," the Italian-American responded fondly with a shrug, "first it was One Direction now it's BTS they're crazy about.  Makes Christmas gifts easy."
"Of the two BTS will have the bigger audience," Mouse informed.
"So we're ruling out the other concerts?" Kevin looked at Voight for confirmation.
"There's security at all the concerts," the Sergeant pointed out, "we'll increase Uniforms where we can."
"But no one can secure the safety of every concert," Murphy pointed out the blunt truth, they all knew if someone was determined they could create a lot of havoc.
"Where is the BTS concert?"
"Soldier Field "
"Talk about a bullseye," Adam commented at the idea of stolen military weapons being used at such an appropriately named venue.