Chapter Thirty-Eight: Assessment

Silence had descended at the table as Adam blustered through an explanation. With a burgeoning grin Jay took pity on his friend and eyed the newcomer.

"Paddy one of these days someone is going to believe your tough guy act and wind up taking a punch at you."
"Well that would not be great for business," gray haired bespeckled O'Shea conceded losing his stern stance and winking at Adam, "sometimes I like to play with customers."
"Especially when they're casting doubts on your food," Jay put in unhelpfully, ignoring the exasperated look Adam sent his way, "this is Paddy O'Shea.  He runs this place.  These are the guys I work with."
"Pleased to meet you," Voight extended a hand and made short work of the introductions around the table.
"Ah so ye have the pleasure of Jays' company every day," O'Shea observed with a twinkle in his eye, "no doubt ye'll be needing alcohol, a lot of it!"
"You obviously know him well," Antonio grinned as chuckles spread around the table.
"Well I wouldn't be admitting it in polite circles," O'Shea confided with a put upon expression, "but we all have our crosses to bear!"
"Hey!" Jay looked at the Proprietor in mock dismay.
"Now you can't blame the man for being honest," Kevin concluded with a grin.
"I'm beginning to regret bringing ye here."
"They would have eventually found the place anyway," the Irishman insisted smugly, "we are the best Irish Bar & Restaurant in Illinois after all."
"Says you!" Jay scoffed unimpressed with the familiar boast.
"So have you agreed to become my Son-in- Law yet?" O'Shea enquired.
"What?!" Kevin asked hoarsely after choking on the beer he had just sipped.
"I know all about this young man and my daughter," the portly man continued ignoring the glare sent his way, "Kaitlin was six when she first met Jay and she decided there and then she was going to marry him."
"Isn't she a bit young for him?" Antonio played along, enjoying his friends' rare discomfort.
"I thought so at the time but over the years nothing's changed," O'Shea shrugged his shoulders, "guess she could do worse."
"Paddy!"
"She's got a stubborn Irish streak," the standing man played to his audience, "she usually gets what she wants."
"Just shoot me now," Jay pleaded as his face reddened.
"She clearly has good taste," O'Shea noted becoming serious, unwilling to go too far with the young man, "but luckily she's after meeting a fine boy so I'm afraid your wedding will have to be postponed."
"Schucks I could do with a day out," Adam feigned disappointment.
"So apart from sizing Halstead up as a future Son-in-Law you know him well?" Kevin queried, he was enjoying seeing the more personal side of his friends' life.
"Well he used to accompany his brother to many of the wedding receptions and he came in handy as a Bouncer every now and then .....,"
"You needed Bouncers?" Antonio asked, surprise colouring his tone.
"Well he wasn't needed for the physical stuff to be honest," the older man elaborated with a fond smile, "it was more his charm came in handy ......,"
"Paddy!" Jay was seriously hoping a meteor would strike him down and end his embarrassment.
"How do you mean?"
"Well closing time usually seems to come too early for many people so I would set Jay loose amongst the female clientele ......,"
"Just shoot me now," Jay hung his head in mortification.
"He never had any trouble persuading them it was time to go."
"You still do wedding receptions?" Adam wondered, sounded like a good way to meet women.
"No," O'Shea replied, "but if we did Jay would be the only one I'd trust with that job. I lost count of how many people told me how nice he was, how gentlemanly and ....,"
"Paddy can we leave this?" Jay asked plaintively as he eyed the older man.
"Sure Jay.  I know you're not one for compliments," Paddy reflected with a note of apology, he genuinely hadn't meant to make his young friend feel uncomfortable, "you know me. Sometimes I forget not everyone is like me, an attention lover!"
"No worries," the auburn haired man assured as two Waiters arrived carrying trays laden down with their orders.

                          ------------------------

Hanson Street and Main

Two days later found the Unit amongst a gathering of various law enforcement personnel responding to a school bus hijacking. The bulky yellow vehicle had been stopped in the middle of the street after police cruisers cut off any possible exits on the busy thoroughfare. That strategy in itself had Voight fuming. The Sergeant however was not in charge. Eyeing the tall man beside him at the head of the alleyway he did nothing to hide his displeasure.