Chapter Forty-Six: Another Twist

"Whoa Jay!" Conor eased the younger man back on the stool as he exchanged concerned glances with Will.
"What's wrong?" the redhead asked even as he scanned the area seeking the cause of his brothers' distress.
"I need to go," the pale man shrugged off the hands still on him and went to get down again.
"You need to tell us what's going on," Conor instructed before Will got the words out.
"There's been a fire," Jay motioned distractedly to the television, "I have to talk to Voight."
"Where's the fire?" Will frowned as commercials played on the screen.
"The Morgue."
"What's that got to do with you?"
"There's a Police lab adjacent to the Morgue," Jay explained as he pulled out his ringing cellphone, "it's Voight. Can I have a minute?"
"Sure," the Surgeon acquiesced, ignoring the glare his colleague directed his way and tugging him over towards another table.

"Whatever is going on Will you need to go easy on him," Conor warned as they kept a wary eye on the cause of their concern.
"Have you looked at him?! Anyone would think he just saw a ghost."
"All the more reason to thread carefully," the Surgeon cautioned reasonably.
"If Voight's onto him it must be bad," the taller man opined worriedly, "he's been giving Jay some space."
"You mean Jay didn't tell Voight where he was either?" Conor guessed with a rueful smile trying to ease the tension radiating from his conpanion.
"No he didn't."
"We've been through this before," Conor reminded patiently, "Jay's a grown man and quite capable of looking after himself so don't start smothering him over this, whatever it is."
"I'm just worried about him," Will defended as he watched his sibling put away his cell.
"Come on let's find out what's going on," Conor instructed and led the way back over.

----------------------------

21st Precinct

Two hours later Jay reluctantly occupied the couch in the Sergeants' office with his injured leg raised, much to his chagrin. He did not enjoy a fuss being made of him but ever since his arrival everyone seemed to be walking on eggshells around him and he decided to get some answers. Looking at the Sergeant whom leant back against his desk, arms folded, he began tentatively.

"Sarge what's going on? Why is everyone acting .... off?"
"You saw the fire on the news," Voight noted, "what hasn't been made public is that it originated in the Morgue and spread .....,"
"Lyle Kings' remains weren't in the Morgue," Jay interjected before adding with obvious relief, "I got worried at first but then I remembered Tom is doing more tests."
"That was the plan," Voight agreed before reluctantly imparting the bad news, "but the remains hadn't been transferred. Seems there was a clerical error ....,"
"Damn."
"Sarge," a knock on the door preceded Antonios' entrance and he gave the injured man a nod before returning his attention to the older man, "it's been confirmed."
"What's been confirmed?" Jay testily demanded, he did not appreciate being out of the loop.
"He doesn't know?' the Italian
-American asked apologetically.
"I was just about to bring him up to speed."
"Someone tell me what's going on. Now!" Jay instructed, in a rare show of impatience, as he eased his leg down onto the floor and ignored the ensuing discomfort in favour of glaring at the two men.
"Jay there's no easy way to say this," the Sergeant ignored the harsh command and walked over to sit down beside his subordinate, "Tom never got the chance to request the remains be transferred. He was involved in a multi car pile up and despite making it to hospital ....... he died."
"Ah man ....,"
"I'm sorry Jay," Antonio offered sincerely as he watched his young friend process yet another death, although he was acquainted with the Pathologist Jay had become friends with the man.
"Maybe it wasn't .....,"
"Stop right there," Voight directed resolutely, knowing immediately what the other man was thinking, "it was definitely an accident. I made sure everything was triple checked. A truck travelling ahead lost control of its' breaks and spilt its' load. In all eleven vehicles were involved with four fatalities and multiple injuries."
"And you believe it's just a coincidence the Morgue went up in flames at the same time?" Jays' scepticism was obvious.
"That I doubt," the Sergeant admitted unhappily, "and that means .....,"
"Lyle King is alive," Jay finished.
"There's no proof of that," Antonio disagreed.
"Who else would burn the Morgue down?" Jay countered but even as he asked the question he knew there would be several people who would benefit if the destructive flames did their work.
"You know they deal with all types of remains," Antonio pointed out, "all types of victims."
"I know. King isn't the only one who would would benefit."
"Right now we don't know the full extent of the damage," Voight put in, "Boden is on it. He'll let me have an update ASAP."
"That's something," Jay observed even as his thoughts filled with the late Pathologist.

As night descended on the city several hours later the bullpen reeked of Chinese food as half filled cartons were scattered around the desks while the Unit discussed the fire and its' possible ramifications.

"I still don't think King is alive," Adam insisted, not for the first time, "the fire could have been started by anyone."
"One hell of a coincidence though that it happened just when Tom was due to carry out the tests," Al wasn't quite sure what to believe as he nibbled on a stray piece of carrot from his spring roll.
"And we're certain the MVA wasn't deliberate?" Kevin double checked as he finished the last of his chow mein and wiped his hands on a paper napkin.
"Yes," Voight assured, he had not only relied on phone calls but had sent Al to talk in person to the Detectives assigned to the case, the First Responders and the Accident Investigation leader dealing with the matter.
"So what do we do about King?" Antonio reluctantly asked what was on all their minds.
"Nothing we can do until he makes a move."
"Sarge are you saying you believe he's alive and still here in Chicago?" Adam sought clarification as he sent a glance towards Jay whose silence was unsettling.
"Seems highly likely," the veteran Officer replied as he too looked towards the quiet man.
"But there's nothing solid to go on," Kevin put in, "all we have is the fire which for all we know may have been
accidental. What do you think Jay?"
"What?" the preoccupied Detective looked up as he heard his name, he hadn't really been paying attention to the conversation.
"Do you think King is really alive?"
"Hard to know."
"Well we aren't going to learn anything more tonight," Voight decreed as he took stock of the frowns' emerging around the bullpen following the distracted response, "let's call it a night. I want everyone here for 0600."
"Sure Sarge," Antonio nodded.
"Maybe Jay .....," Adam began only to be interrupted.
"Halstead is staying with me tonight," the Sergeant stated firmly, ignoring the surprised looks.
"Hey Sarge I ....," Jay was not happy with the unexpected decree.
"You can talk when we get to the house," Voight decided as he went over to his office door and locked it after motioning for the other men to head off.
"See you later man," Adam sent his friend an apologetic look as he followed Kevin and Antonio down the stairs after they said their farewells."
"You going to be okay?" Mouse checked without bothering to lower his voice.
"Sure," the weary man smiled ruefully as he accepted his fate, it wasn't like Voight was going to kill him after all.
"You need anything you call," the IT Specialist ordered as he sent a warning glance Voights' way to let him know he was trusting him with his friend before heading off.

"Anyone would think I was going to shoot you," Voight commented wrily after giving an imperceptible nod of acceptance to the warning.
"Mother Hens the lot of them."
"So you need anything from wherever you've been staying?" Meds?" Voight checked as he retrieved the crutches leaning against a filing cabinet and approached the couch with Al.
"Nah, I'm fine."
"You brought your meds with you?" Als' disbelief was obvious as he helped the younger man get to his feet.
"I'll manage without them."
"Like hell you will! Al will collect them," Voight insisted, "don't worry you can give him the address. He won't tell me."
"My word," Al assured genuinely as he saw the discomfort his young friend was in.
"But Sarge .....,"
"Kid it hurts me just looking at you so for once lose that Irish stubborn streak of yours and just do what you're told."
"Yes Sarge," Jay decided to give in as his body eagerly showed its' displeasure as he slowly manoeuvred his way down the stairs with the aid of the crutches flanked by the older men .....

tbc

MVA - Moving Vehicle Accident