Chapter 55 | Cat and Mouse

Start from the beginning

"A shame that I've got to kill you at least" Jill said deadpanned, locking eyes with me and piercing her whole right hand through my chest. It didn't affect me at first, but within a second or two I had coughed blood all over the inside of my mask and Jill had ripped her blood-soaked, spear-like hand out of my chest.
'Sh-shit...' I thought, falling to my knees and clutching the hole in my chest. "I-I'm not gonna lie... a hole in my chest is *cough cough* pretty uncomfortable... to say the least" I coughed out, wincing in pain after every slight movement.
"Yeah, I can imagine it hurts pretty bad" Jill responded, speaking with a rather genuine tone.
"You're telling me..." I groaned as I attempted to get back up, only to fall back down to all-fours immediately. "This is... hella *groan* inconvenient" I added, trying to at least face Jill as I spoke.
"Okay. I gotta ask: how the hell are you still alive, dude?" Jill asked, her tone incredibly flat. "There is an ENTIRE HOLE IN YOUR CHEST!" She yelled, evidently baffled that I had survived.
"If it *groan* makes you feel any better, I certainly feel like I'm dying" I groaned, still clutching my chest as I finally stood up. "But *pant pant* to be fair... I think you missed my major organs" I said, pretty exasperated at the blood loss and all of the energy I had going straight into my healing factor.
"Bullshit!" Jill yelled, her tone full of both annoyance and rage. "I hit you dead centre!" She added, aggressively pointing at my injury.
"Yeah..." I agreed, nodding slightly as I felt most of my deeper flesh layers healing fairly quickly. "I can definitely feel a hole in my lung... and you might have burst a blood vessel near my heart too..." I said, still panting but with my breaths getting less and less shallow by the second.
"So how the hell are you alive!?" She yelled, more confused than angry by this point.
"Well..." I began, taking a deep breath as I felt the hole in my lung fully close. "For one, I have this really cool healing factor" I stated, now letting go of my chest. "Take a look-see" I added, pointing to the swiftly shrinking hole in my chest as I felt my sternum and some accompanying ribs reattach themselves. The grotesque crunching of the rejoining bones invaded the silence of the forest as they healed and grew back into place, the noise making Jill's face contort into a look that seemed to be a bizarre combination of both horror and intrigue. "Phew. I feel loads better" I said, sighing in relief and patting where my wound was. 'Thanks for the hand, I can tell you had to take a break just to keep me alive' I mentally thanked Nightmare, since it was pretty obvious I couldn't heal like that without at least some assistance.
"Ain't no thang" Nightmare stated, his voice holding a hint of smugness.

"Now..." I began, taking a step forward. "My dearest Jill" I continued, watching as Jill readied her claws and took a defensive stance as her expression remained calm and composed. I darted towards her, and she matched my action and dashed forward herself. With her claws raised, she slashed down at me - with an unmistakable intent to kill. As her claws came down, I leapt not just backwards but also as high as I could. This kicked me a good ten feet upwards, and as I soared back I felt my feet touch the trunk of the tree that I was attached to not long ago. Not long after my feet made contact, I pushed off as hard as I could and launched myself as far forward as possible. "Catch me if you can!" I called out as I zoomed past an uncountable amount of treetops.
"Dumbass..." Nightmare groaned. "She's gotta kill you, so now you've given her even more of an incentive to follow you" he explained, making me sigh in irritation as I hit the ground and began to run.
'Balls...' I groaned, looking over my shoulder and seeing Jill in the distance chasing me down.

'How're we gonna lose her?' I asked, realising that this situation had really thrown a wrench in my original plan.
"Who is 'we'?" Nightmare asked. "You speaking French? This ain't my situation, kid" he added, evidently wanting no part.
'Ugh, seriously?' I mentally groaned, now veering off of the path I was following to zigzag through a denser part of the forest.
"Yeah, 'seRioUslY'" he said mockingly. "I'm tryna make my crash course and you had to go and almost die. AGAIN!" he continued, his tone clearly an unhappy one. "I've done my helping. So you're on your own until I feel like it" he huffed.
'Fine fine, go make your dumb crash course' I sighed, unsurprised by his reaction but still frustrated by it regardless. 'I didn't even want your help anyway...' I lied, turning my focus back to the matter at hand. I took a glance over my shoulder once again to see that Jill had actually gained a rather impressive amount of ground, which worried me quite a bit. 'God damn she's fast!' I mentally exclaimed, now picking up the pace myself.
"Get back here!" I heard Jill yell from the distance. "I'm not done killin' you!" She added, her voice getting louder as she got progressively closer.
'Shit! Not only is there a killer clown on my ass, but I'm completely lost too!' I thought, realising now more than ever that I was probably right about only being able to beat Jess in a fight.

(Mini time skip, brought to you by chapter votes from long time viewer  @Mimic200687 )

I continued running around sporadically in hopes of losing Jill, but evidently she was having no trouble catching up. After running around for what felt like hours, I once again came to a random clearing that the forest seemed to have an abundance of. As I got into the centre, I whipped around to see that I had lost Jill. 'Finally...' I sighed, leaning forward and taking some much needed deep breaths. 'I can't believe I managed to lo-' I began, however my thought process was cut short by a familiar sound.

*SNAP*

'Oh, god dammit!' I mentally yelled, realising I had basically cornered myself. My eyes darted back and forth, trying to pinpoint the monochrome clown, but the fact that the sounds of snapping branches was more-or-less coming from everywhere and so rapidly that it sounded like they were almost breaking all at once meant that I had no way to figure out where she was. 'Shit, shit, SHIT!' I mentally exclaimed, beginning to panic as Jill's creepy giggles began to echo amongst the trees.
"What's wrong, guy?" Jill's voice echoed out, the surprise causing me to raise my guard. "I thought you could've gotten at least a little further" she added, giggling once again as she finished her sentence.
'FUCK, WHAT DO I DO HERE!?' I mentally screamed, panicked out of my mind and realising I had no chance to outrun her anymore.
"What was that thing you said, by the way?" She asked, giggling yet again. "I could've sworn you told me to try and catch you..." she continued, the silence of the forest returning once she finished speaking. "And what's that behind you?~" she whispered, close enough that I felt her hot breath on the back of my ear.
"I feel like I'm in trouble..." I admitted, slowly raising my hands in surrender as Jill tightly gripped my left shoulder.
"You would be correct" she agreed, her tone proving that she was most definitely pleased with herself as she slammed me into the ground. "Although it would be a lot worse for you if I had my chainsaw - at least if I use my claws, things're over pretty quick" she explained, poking her pointer finger into my lower spine.
"Maybe, but that would probably have helped me figure out where you were" I stated, raising my head and blowing some grass off of my mask while hoping to drag out enough conversation to let me come up with a plan. "Not to mention you'd attract tons attention from some Wendigos or some patrolling Zalga proxies" I added, hoping that I could turn a hostage situation into a friendly chat.

"You know Zalga?" Jill asked, her playful demeanour dropping as her grip loosened ever so slightly.
"I wouldn't say I 'know' her exactly" I stated, not wanting to be in anymore hot water than I already was.
"Then what is your relation to her?" A different voice asked, evidently demonic in tone and now coming from beside Jill.
"Well, mysterious person, if I'm released from my hostage position I'll be more than happy to give over some juicy info" I explained, doing my best not to let my tone turn smug. "Is that something that can be agreed upon..." I began, looking over my shoulder and seeing that the voice came from exactly who I had thought it had.

"Slenderwoman?"