[balete guy]

⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑❉⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑

Another day in this new environment. It still feels like yesterday when I was staring at a skyscraper from another skyscraper. The identical white blinds, the same color of black to grey exterior buildings, and the only different colors are the cars that are beeping below in the busy streets in the morning. 

It is too depressing like it is a sin that you are in the building and not doing anything productive while the people you see outside are working, and when you look down below, they're definitely busy, making it feel like a sin staying inside your house just watching everything.

 Now, everything is different. Just like I am traveling to a different world than where I am from.

Of course, the much louder chirps from birds outside are what greet me when I wholly devour the sight of the front garden. I could see butterflies flying and dancing around the fountain in the middle like it was their own little pavilion. 

I went straight to the right side of the house facing the front garden until I could catch a sight of the Balete tree. There is a wooden bench that I have been eyeing since the moment I got here, cross-fingers that no human beings would walk in and out of the house that assume I'm lonely and want someone to talk to. 

"Hey, who are you?"

My back went straight up from my comfortable sitting position after hearing a voice from nowhere and not finding a human figure in my point of view. Is it true that all Balete trees are enchanted? Supernatural beings made Balete their host? Bro, it is broad daylight. 

"Up here!" my head immediately tilted to check on the person calling from above as my heart slightly raced, kind of believing the supernatural beings living in Balete trees.

Fortunately, I can see a human being, a weird one to be exact, up on one of the branches of the Balete tree and looking down at me with a goofy smile on his face. I did not see him before either. Is this normal for people around here to hang around this area without permission? At least giving me a warning?

"Who are you? Do you have a death wish? Please be respectful and kill yourself somewhere else in broad daylight where my readings are not disturbed," I joked, partly, because from where this guy is standing, his life could be taken anytime. Logically with my physique versus his, I could not be able to save this guy without scraping my body either. 

I could hear him shush me and hear his faint voice due to him trying to not be as audible as possible, "We're playing hide and seek, I am trying to win here!" he said with conviction.

"Bro, what are you ten?" I mumbled and opened up my book. I need to read a lot of books as much as possible since it is only 2 weeks until school here starts. I've got no time to lose.

Just as I was about to drown in the book that I was reading, thinking that I could finally read in peace, I heard a shout saying, "Jieun! You're there!" I have been hearing this voice all over the house, day and night. He seems to really not know how boundaries go. I have never got annoyed just by hearing my name 24/7 I'm sick of it.

"What is it again, Theo?" I answered as I watched him skipping his way towards me with that weird and goofy smile on his face again. He's cute, yeah, and I can easily accept this person in my life since he seems genuine. He's weird and not the kind of person I get to meet every day.

His grin turns to a pout with squinted eyes like I owe him something after doing something bad, "You did not wait for me to finish my brunch," he said and acted like a kid.

I just shake my head as I find him really... Really weird. Something is wrong with him. I could not help as both of the corners of my lips rose as I checked on him again, still making a frown face. I roll my eyes, "I'm sorry, okay? I am really looking forward to finishing this book as soon as possible. You eat too slowly and a lot. I could not wait that long and just look at you," I said honestly.