[the boy she never met]

❝𝒑𝒐𝒍𝒂𝒓 𝒐𝒑𝒑𝒐𝒔𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒂𝒎𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒂 𝒃𝒍𝒊𝒛𝒛𝒂𝒓𝒅.❞

⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑❉⋐⋑⋐⋑⋐⋑

"You're Lily and I'm Theo."

"Where are you going? You're trespassing on my family's property. You and your friends have had enough rule-breaking, don't you think?" I remarked, my voice carrying a mixture of authority and irritation. He had suggested we follow him, but instead, he seemed to be leading the way straight to our house from the veranda, abandoning his bewildered friends.

"Are you even listening?"

No response. He continued, unfazed, walking through the hallways. As Raoul came into view, I contemplated seeking help from him to rid myself of this unexpected intruder. "Papa!" the boy called out to Raoul, who responded with a smile upon seeing him.

Raoul noticed me behind the boy and acknowledged, "I see that you have met Señora Lily."

"Pa, did you throw away the canvas that I told you not to? The one with her in it?" the boy asked, pointing towards me midway through his sentence.

The old man slightly tilted his head, trying to recollect, "What canvas... Ah! The one you copied from señora's photo album? I didn't touch it. I guess it is still there," he replied, his certainty wavering.

"Nice. Let's go upstairs," the boy said, unexpectedly grabbing my hand, causing my heart to skip a beat as we ascended the creaky stairs.

I couldn't believe how he was acting, as if we were already close, touching me without a second thought. Yet, it seemed more mindless than intentional, making him appear more clueless than a deliberate provocateur. His enthusiasm made me question the accuracy of my childhood memories.

As he guided me, I noticed the grandeur of the mansion—wide entryways, a semi-circular balcony, a classic chandelier of capiz shells dominating the foyer. The architecture bore a Spanish and European touch, and the furniture, predominantly wood, exuded a warm and rustic charm.

We halted in front of a room on the second floor. "We're here. I bet this is your room as well. I used to stay here just to paint since you've got a nice view from the balcony," he remarked, making me feel like a visitor in his own house.

Art materials lay on the floor near a canvas. His latest painting, an abstract mix of warm colors, adorned the space. "Care to clean all of this up before I settle in this room?" I requested, feeling uneasy about staying in a place that felt more like a stranger's than my own. Homesickness gripped me, a sentiment I hadn't expected.

His response was delayed, and when he finally spoke, his voice, low and baritone, held a strange endearing quality. "Sure, will get this squeaky clean in no time," he assured before grabbing his materials and adding, "I'll get some cleaning tools and be right back. Make yourself comfortable, madam."

Left alone, I admired the intricate designs of the house, feeling like I had traveled through time. The chandelier, the wooden structure supporting it, and the lamps beside the balcony arch evoked a sense of magic, turning the eerie mansion into a captivating haven.

My attention was drawn to a canvas leaning against the balcony wall. Recognizing the scene, I picked it up and discovered it was a painting of me as a one-year-old, a photo from my family album. How he recognized me from a baby picture, when features were barely distinguishable, puzzled me.

"Theo!"

A voice from below interrupted my thoughts. It was the same girl who had confronted me earlier. Placing the painting down, I walked to the edge of the balcony, surprising her. "What's up, Romeo?" I teased, reveling in the confusion on her face.

Her inquiry, accompanied by crossed arms, was direct. "Where's Theo? What are you doing in his room?" she demanded.

"I told you, didn't I? This is my property. This is my room... too," I retorted playfully.

Her scoff indicated her disbelief. "You? You're not his type. Not even close," she insisted.

"Yeah, I'm the better type," I quipped, reveling in her reaction.

As her nostrils flared, footsteps approached. Theo appeared, confusion evident in his eyes as he focused on the exchange below. "Anything wrong?" he asked.

"Your girlfriend is getting annoying," I stated bluntly, walking towards my belongings near the bed bench to unpack.

"What happened? What are you doing here?" he inquired, the guilt palpable in his footsteps and breath.

"Duh, the bonfire party? We need to get our asses out of here and get to the pier before 5 PM, dumbass. The guys are waiting at the front gate."

"I..."

As his footsteps neared, I sensed his guilt. "Lily," he began, using my first name with audacity, "I'm afraid I am in haste and postponing my hand to help a little bit. Good luck with your unpacking. We will go to the other side of the beach by boat for a bonfire party. Do you want to come?"

My jaw almost dropped at the audacity of his 'good luck.' Suppressing my surprise, I replied nonchalantly, "No."

"Okay then, welcome to Casa de Hermosa! See you later, Lily!" he exclaimed, skipping towards the exit.