"Was it of Tamlin?" He asked, eyes still on her destroyed bed.

"Him, Aldric, the soldiers, my husband," she responded, and Rhysand's eyes flicked to hers.

"Husband?"

Aurora nodded, fingers anxiously picking at the clothes in her hands. "I believe I told you. I was married off when I was eighteen. We were still married when I was thrown into that place. I don't know what has come of him. He was a soldier in the Winter Court's army, trying to gain Oberon's favor by marrying the bastard child."

Rhysand's face grew into concentration, jaw locked. "I'm going to need to look into that. I'll speak with Kallias. What was his name?"

"Cormac," Aurora responded. Rhysand nodded and began to turn to the door. "Rhys?" Aurora spoke before he could leave the room. He stopped and turned to her. "Are... Are Elain and Azriel serious now?" It had been three days since she had last seen either of them, the night Azriel drunkenly confessed what he had been doing.

"Elain believes they are. I can sense indifference in Azriel, but he is working on it. He's treating her well, if that's what you're asking," Rhysand explained. Aurora bit the inside of her cheek, turning her eyes to the ground. "Now that I hear of a husband, we need to ensure he is no longer a threat. Like before, do not pursue him until we know. I'm sorry," Rhysand spoke, his face showing some kind of pity that made Aurora want to grimace.

"I don't think I should pursue him. I told him I don't want a mating bond, I'd prefer a true relationship if any. If he's with Elain now, and if I tell him I want him, I believe I'll gain enemies that I don't want. No matter how I feel, it's already no longer my choice," Aurora muttered. Rhysand scoffed, crossing his arms.

"Elain had her chance at a mate, Lucien is gone. I'm sorry I didn't allow your relationship sooner, but as you saw, it was a threat. Once again, it may be. You may be seen as a stolen bride, which, in the past, has not gone over smoothly for us," he grinned. Aurora furrowed her brows. "I brought Feyre for the first time when she was walking down the aisle to Tamlin."

"Thank the Mother you did," Aurora smiled softly. Rhysand chuckled with a nod.

"I agree. Now, once we learn about your husband, you're free to do as you please with Azriel. Unless Eris chooses to attack again, there should be no other threats. Now that your bond is confirmed, we can use that as a way to defend the relationship. Elain has toyed with Azriel for a while now, even when he was with Gwyn. I believe your love would be just as strong as any other, if you choose to follow that path," Rhysand spoke, sending her a small smile. Aurora took in a breath and nodded. Rhysand flattened his lips before turning and leaving the room. Aurora shut the door behind him and began to change.

She never thought of Cormac being a threat, not after he allowed her to be placed into captivity without visiting her for five centuries. She doubted it would be an issue for him if she found another male. Her mind then went to Azriel, the things he had said days ago. He had to pretend to love Elain. He had to be drunk to not imagine Aurora. She left her room and set for the training ring as she thought of everything.

Could she love him? Elain would be furious. Aurora hadn't even claimed Azriel and Elain had snapped at her. If Aurora stole him, she'd probably try to kill her.

Aurora's boots hit the cushioned ring, eyes set on the plush dummy. She didn't bother to wrap her hands as she began punching, ducking and blocking to pretend it hit back. Every emotion flowed into her training. She hadn't even realized the sun had come up by the time her muscles felt like they'd give out.

Her legs shook as she trudged back to the estate, the sunrise casting a crimson hue over the land. Her knuckles were coated in dried blood as she pushed into the house, warmth and the smell of food surrounding her. Aurora didn't bother to go change or bathe, she went straight to the dining room. Her breath caught in her throat when she saw Azriel and Elain at the table. His eyes were surrounded with the same shadows that rose above him. Elain was sitting beside him, smiling in oblivion. Rhysand and Cassian looked as if they had just been speaking before she walked in.

"Good morning," Aurora murmured as she took a seat beside Nesta. She grabbed a plate and began placing food onto it.

"Aurora, we need to speak," Rhysand spoke. She stilled and looked up at him. He and Cassian looked uncomfortable.

"Yes?"

"Kallias told us that Cormac is alive. He has found his mate, however, he's heard of your disappearance. I'm not sure if it is dislike from the past, but he had searched for Aldric for answers. He ended up going to Kallias. Kallias has requested that we bring you to him to speak with Aldric and show that you cannot be held captive again. Show that you have succeeded in training and in your childhood wishes. Cormac will be there as well. Because he assumed you were dead, he had annulled the marriage so you are no longer married, but now that he knows you're alive, he feels like he has a claim over you. We would like to bring Azriel to show your mating bond."

Aurora gaped at them, anxiety in her stomach. The appetite she had grown seemed to disappear.

"Wait, I haven't accepted the bond. There will be no scent," Aurora argued, glancing between him and Cass. Rhys's lips thinned as he turned his eyes to Azriel.

"We need you to accept the bond. Today. We will be travelling to the Winter Court tonight. Kallias thought it would be best for you to meet Aldric in the night to show you've grown past your fear of darkness."

"Excuse me? She can't accept the bond, Azriel is with me!" Elain snapped. All eyes turned to her.

"Aurora has a right to Azriel due to the bond. Despite the history of the bond, this acceptance is so Aldric and Cormac can scent it and get off Aurora's back," Rhysand explained. Elain scoffed, crossing her arms.

"Who is Cormac? Annulling a marriage?" Azriel spoke up. Aurora noted his hoarse voice.

"Cormac is the male I was forced to marry at eighteen. We were still married when I was thrown into captivity by Oberon," Aurora explained. Azriel's jaw clenched as he looked down at his plate.

"So, Aurora, will you accept the bond?" Rhysand asked, leaning forward. Her eyes widened. Accepting the bond felt as if she was giving all power to a male. Giving the right to her body to a male. Azriel met her eyes again, shadows rippling. Could this be the only way?

"Is there a way to fake this?" Aurora asked, turning to Rhys. He thought for a moment, leaning back in his chair.

"The only way to do that would be to have someone cast a spell over both of you. We have no way of doing that, not if we have to meet them today. If we had a year, then maybe. There's ways to hide a bond, but not fake one. I'm sorry, but if we want to use this to get them off our backs, accepting the bond is the only way."

Aurora felt her pulse thrashing in her veins. A low hum filled her ears as she turned back to Az, who was staring at her through his lashes still. Could she resist the urges that came with accepting the bond? Was she ready to face those urges? With Azriel, she felt that she could. If need be, she'd deal with the feelings that would erupt and then hide away from him. Move across the city and have Rhysand place wards up so that she couldn't leave and Azriel couldn't come in.

With a heavy sigh, Aurora nodded. "I'll accept the bond, with the exception that we will both be guarded."